Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger LED On/Off with push button

Hi everyone !

I'm sorry if the question has already been asked...

I would like to trigger a LED from TouchOSC with a toggle button, is it possible ? I can't find a way to make sort of a macro that would send "1" to "/1/led3" the first time and then "0" to the same adresse the second time.

Is it possible ?

Thanks !

Arthur

Hey Arthur,

What is source that will control the LED? I'm not sure to understand what you are trying to achieve.

The best way to control a LED from a MIDI message sent from Live is to use the timeline events in Live to send MIDI events like described in this tutorial. But there are times where you want to control a TouchOSC LED from a Live button instead, and this poses a problem because there is no way in Live to assign a MIDI message to a control other than using the "learn" mode.

To workaround this problem, you can follow this procedure:

First of all, we will create a "dummy" OSC message to which a MIDI CC event will be assigned so we can map it to a control of Live:

- make sure you are using the latest version of OSCulator (2.10)

- In the Routing menu, select "Manually create message" (sorry if this is not the exact wording, I am away from my computer) and type the LED's address, e.g. /1/led3

- Assign a MIDI CC to this new message, e.g. MIDI CC number 0 on channel 1.

- put Live into "learn mode" and select the control you want to be the source of what will control the LED status.

- now back to OSCulator, click on the small activity monitor light (second column) that corresponds to the /1/led3 message you just added. This will trigger the MIDI CC event with dummy values, and thus activate the mapping in Live.

- put Live out of "learn mode"

Now that the mapping has been created, we can let OSCulator create the mapping back to the LED's OSC address:

- so finally, use the mapped control in Live to trigger a MIDI message that will be sent to OSCulator.

- if you want, you can get rid of the dummy OSC message that was created at the beginning of this procedure.

I hope it helps!

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi

Sorry, my first message was not very easy to understand, it was quite late --"

So, let me explain this clearly.

I want to use my iPhone to control the talkback in my studio. I use the application TouchOSC. To activate the talkback, I need to send a A#5 Note On to my sound card and to deactivate, I need to send a A#5 Note On again.

So, I used a push button that sends a Note On signal when I press on it (and a Note Off signal when I release it but anyway). That works perfectly.

What I would like to do is switch On and Off a LED on my TouchOSC layer. To do that, I can use the OSCRouting that sends 0 or 1 to /1/led3 (my LED). But as the push button always sends the same message when you press on it, I can't send alternatively 0 or 1 to my LED to switch it On and Off.

Basically, what I would like to do, is switch a LED On and Off with a push button and my problem is that a push button always sends the same signal and cannot send 1 then 0 then 1 then 0...

I could use a toggle button but it sends Note On and then Note Off message so it's ok for the LED but not for the trigger of the talkback --"

I would need a toogle button that always sends Note On button

Any idea ?

Thanks

Arthur

Comment

Ahh, I see :-)

So there are two things to consider here.

First, if you want to precisely know the status of something, it is better to get the feedback from this thing directly. So for instance, is there any way for your talkback system to send a status message back to OSCulator?

Second, I understand that you just need to see when the talkback is activated and when it is not, so it would be surely simpler not to go the previous suggestion (bi-directional control), and just put a OSC Routing directly. Unfortunately, processing the messages values as toggles or increment the values, or do anything like that is not yet possible. I am aware that this is a most oft asked feature, which I am indeed working on.

In conclusion, unless you find a way to use the first solution described here, you will have to wait for a major upgrade that implements this new message processing system.

Comment

Ok, thank you !

Good luck for your work on new features

Comment

Working...
          X