Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSCulator for OSX 10.3.9? Good money paid

Afternoon all,

I'm trying to create an iPhone/TouchOSC controller which controls functions within Serato Live (eg: jump to cue points, sample player launch, loop etc.) I'm currently on a PowerBook G4 running OSX 10.3.9 so my solution for this to work is a bit convoluted. Let's just say, I'm still troubleshooting (TouchOSC > Pd > IAC/MIDIPipe bus > Ableton for testing). Having seen how slick OSCulator appears to be, can I just ask if there are any versions for OSX 10.3.9? I will pay good money! I just want to get up and running

cheers muchly

Hi Rob,

I am really sorry, but OSCulator's oldest supported platform is 10.4.11 and there is no way to backport the code to an older platform. Is there no way you can upgrade your computer to Mac OS X 10.4? I guess you have your reasons if this is not possible … Anyway, if you need advice or guidance, I'll be happy to help you find a solution.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

Thank you very much for the speedy reply. I'm a bit worried about upgrading to 10.4.11 for various reasons but if I have to I will. In the meantime though, I was wondering if you might have a quick look over issues with my current situation. Below is the setup

Pure Data running TouchOSC MIDI patches (downloaded from http://hexler.net)

MIDIPipe creating a virtual MIDI output to Serato

I'm doing my initial testing using Ableton Live. I've downloaded all of the Pure Data MIDI patches and set everything up so that iPhone is sending OSC data to Pure Data and this works fine. All faders, toggles buttons etc. move as they should with each Pd MIDI patch.

My difficulties are in testing MIDI activity and routing out of Pd.

There doesn't seem to be any MIDI activity when I open the test and check audio/MIDI window in Pd. Both IAC and MIDIPipe show up as available input and output devices within Pd and Ableton but there is no MIDI in signal reaching Ableton. Do I need to alter the Pd patch for this to work?

In terms of routing can I use IAC bus or is MIDIPipe a better option? If MIDIPipe, can you please provide details on setup.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly

Comment

Hey Rob,

You should be fine using the IAC bus. MIDIPipe will offer more option in terms of filtering, thus if you use it only to carry MIDI from Pd to Live, I don't think you really need it.

I just tried the midi2-midi.pd file by mapping a slider to a volume fader in Live and it seems to work fine. What I did first was to set PureData's MIDI output to "IAC bus 1" first. In Live, I enabled this same bus as the "remote" MIDI input. Then, set Live in MIDI learn mode (Command-M) and click on a volume fader, and (back to Pd), move a slider to let Live learn the mapping. Finally, I disabled MIDI learn mode (Command-M again).

Before trying to map things in Live, I would suggest you use the MIDI Monitor application to see if Pd send data to the IAC bus. Just launch Pd first, set its MIDI output to the IAC driver, and launch MIDI Monitor. If you move a control in Pd, you should be able to see some MIDI messages produced on the IAC bus.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Cam,

Thanks again for getting back to me and in such detail. For some reason, I gravitated towards the Pd send-receive files and not the MIDI files themselves. Have just tried the simple-midi.pd but with steps you described and Ableton is now registering MIDI activity! I did quickly try to map a fader in Pd to a fader in Ableton but the fader in Ableton seems to jump up and down so I need to investigate this further. It almost seems like it's receiving MIDI clock or some metro data from somewhere. It's getting late so I will have a look tomorrow. Again, big thanks. We're getting there for sure.

Robin

Comment

Working...
          X