Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ableton Live to Osculator to a Standalone VST app?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ableton Live to Osculator to a Standalone VST app?

Here's the Setup:

Ableton Live successfully sends MIDI to...

OSCulator, which successfully sends data to...

Standalone VST, which plays MIDI from Ableton Live.

Here's where I'm at:

Ableton Live sends MIDI to OSCulator...

/midi/note/1

0: pitch

1: velocity

2: trigger

Here's where I'm stuck:

OSCulator sends data to Standalone VST...

I need to know which "Event Type" and "Value" to select for the above messages. If I choose a MIDI note value (ie: note G2) it will successfully play G2 on the standalone application. I'm sure I'm one step away from making this work since I use TouchOSC flawlessly and its already communicating between the three applications.

If you're curious why I'm routing everything like this... I perform music using Ableton Live and my VST program will crash Ableton Live if I open it as a VST. If I run the program as a Standalone next to Ableton Live... everything works. The VST I am using is Analog Factory 2.5, which coupled with Ableton Live 8 and Snow Leopard... seems a bit buggy to successfully perform in front of 1,000+ people. Oh, and I'm also running my bass guitar through an audio interface and using looper functions as well, imagine how much more buggy it could get.

Thanks in advance guys/gals,

Art Webb - This is ART

Hi,

It would be useful to know if you are using OSCulator to control Live *and* Standalone VST together.

If you just want to send MIDI from Live to Standalone VST, then maybe you will be better off using the IAC driver found in Audio MIDI Setup and create a virtual port to communicate between applications.

Another option would be to enable the Raw MIDI message (open the Parameters window, and go to the IO tab, and change the MIDI Input Mode), and assign a "Send to MIDI" event with "OSCulator Out" value. But if you are using OSCulator to control Live as well, you will create a feedback loop, so beware.

About the received MIDI Note:

I am not sure to know what you would like to do exactly, but maybe you would like to "unfold" the /midi/note/1 message in order to "see" all the notes that are received. To do that select the pitch argument, and do Edit->Demux. Then send notes again. This will "unfold" the /midi/note/1 message, revealing the notes, letting you assign an event for each different note.

But I don't think you should do this. I understand that you just want to route MIDI from Live to Standalone VST, so maybe the best option for you would be to use MIDI Pipe or MIDI Patchbay just for this purpose.

If you give me more details, I should be able to help you choose the best solution.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response. I found your reply quite useful and wanted to say that I am only sending MIDI to my Standalone VST app so this reduces complications. I was using the raw MIDI pass feature described in another thread but see the logic in using the IAC driver to create a virtual bus as its the same principle with one less app -- although now I'm using the APC40 thru OSCulator to reinvent the notes on the pads to be chromatic for playing drum applications so there's another journey right there.

Comment

Working...
      X