Nunchuk Joystick getting "stuck"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nunchuk Joystick getting "stuck"

The nunchuk x and y values are only being sent out when they have changed (to reduce redundant messages, I'd imagine).

When the controller returns to the center position a new value is often not sent out, causing it to be stuck on the last non center value. In my case I'm using the joystick to function like an arcball, rotating around a scene. If you release the joystick the camera will often continue spinning as it didn't receive the message that it's gone back to center. I'm only updating the joyx and joyy variables in my program as the messages come in and retaining the last received values until a new one comes in.

Anyone have an idea on how to get around this? Is there a programming trick I can use?

*EDIT: I've verified this with quicklook - if I push the joystick far left for example, the value will go to about 0.05 (far left), but if I release the joystick quickly, it'll go to 0.19 and sit there. Then if I touch the joystick lightly it'll jump to 0.5, centered.

cheers and thanks in advance!

James

Hey James,

This is something I noticed too.

Actually a friend showed me this problem two weeks ago, and it's ben there since a long time.

The problem has to do with the joystick smoothing parameter. The workaround is to turn it off (set to 0), and the joysticks will work as expected.

I am toying with the idea of removing the smoothing parameter for joysticks from future releases, because I think it is useless (and raises problems!). What do you think?

Camille

Comment

Set smoothing to 0... Wow, that looks a little nicer!

I think removing it is a good idea unless it would limit some other functionality. Otherwise, the majority of people will be expecting consistent messages to come in (just like the ir messages come in even with smoothing on ). If someone was inclined they could average out the values and smooth them on their own on the client side.

thanks for the quick reply!

James

Comment

Working...
      X