Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling Modul8 with TouchOSC from an iPhone

Hey.

I have this problem. I got it all set up and TouchOSC seems to be communicating with OSCulator but OSCulator doesn't seem to be transmitting the received data to Modul8. Any Ideas what I could be doing wrong? M8 version is 2.5.8 and TouchOSC as well as OSCulator are both the newest versions. I've tried restarting but it didnt help.

Hoping somebody can give me a suggestion..

cheers & thanks in advance.

Hi Lorax,

What kind of messages are you sending to Modul8?
    MIDI or OSC messages?

I don't know if you have made any configuration, but fyi, once OSCulator has received messages from TouchOSC, you need to assign events to those messages to do things like sending a MIDI message or moving the mouse.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

I downloaded a layout for touchOSC and OSCulator by VjChinowski, installed that started all the apps and I thought that its already mapped since the layout is built for the same app I wanna use it with (m8)

ok I guess I gotta check again. is there any order in which the apps must be executed or doesn't it matter what I start first?

cheers man.

Comment

Hey Lorax,

Had a look at the files and it looks ok, except that I've a bug when opening these files that were made with an older version of OSCulator. The fix is simple go to Parameters and change MIDI input mode to "Interpreted". However, the modul8 template doesn't deal with MIDI input, so I'm a bit puzzled about what could be wrong.

You could try opening OSCulator first, then modul8, so it can see OSCulator's MIDI input when launching. I will check with modul8, but you might have to activate "OSCulator Out" in modul8's inputs as well.

Cam

Comment

modul 8 has inputs? i couldn't find any.. i've tried it in any order now.. all the same. some very cool support you're offering me here man! i gotta say!

its very weird.. when i watch people on youtube using touchosc with modul8 they just seem to have no probs at all.. they just launch both apps and it works instantly. i have looked into all the options there are.. do you have any other idea what i could try?

cheers man! i appreciate your help!

Comment

Hey Lorax,

So I've had a look at Modul8.
            First of all you need to make sure "OSCulator Out" MIDI output is active. To do that, go in Modul8's Preferences, Mappings / MIDI tab, and check that the port is active.

Modul8 is able to load a MIDI Mappings file, but the layout you mentioned doesn't provide such mappings, so you will have to create them yourself. To do that, go in Edit MIDI Mappings mode by enabling the command in the Mappings menu. With Modul8 window frontmost, click on a control you would like to map, and then touch the corresponding control in TouchOSC. Repeat that operation for every controls you want to map. You can then save those mappings to a file for later use in another Modul8 session.

Best,
            Cam

Comment

thanks a lot man!

it works like a charm!..thanks for that awesome support here man!

Comment

Hi Lorax and Camile, I too have to same problem. I read everything that Camille wrote to fix, but in my Modul8 preferences, under Key/Midi mapping, it only shows options"use default/configured documentation" nothign about selecting devices :/ Everything else is et up and my ipad is controls are being read thru Osculator, but then i go to edit midi and everthing get highlighted, its not registering. did you click anything else thru modul8 so that it recognizes the osculator?

Comment

I think that Modul8 works a bit like Live wtr to MIDI in the sense that you need to put a control in "learn" mode and send it a MIDI message so it gets mapped. Have you tried to set Modul8 in learn mode?

Comment

Working...
                  X