Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiimotes with Pro-tools and Reason

Hi there,
    I am trying to use 2 Wiimotes with Pro-tools HD 8 and Reason in rewire mode. My question is, how do I get the Wiimotes to play separate sounds? I don't have a great understanding of midi. Both wiimotes are working with my setup but they both play all the sounds I have set up and I can't separate them.
    Thanks in advance for help.
    x

Hi LizS,

I would recommend you set the output of each events coming out of the Wiimote to two different MIDI channels. You can select many rows, and set their channel at once.

Then in Pro-Tools, filter your instruments by MIDI channel. Sorry not to be more descriptive, but I don't have a Pro-Tools workstation at hand, and I suppose it is a rather easy task to do.

Let me know if you need more details!

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks for that. I can't figure out where to change the pro-tools info. I have Reason on an Audio track and then 2 midi channels set up pointing to the relevant racks in Reason. In Osculator I have changed the channels to 6 for the first Wiimote and 7 for the second. which relate to the Reason channels I am controlling.
      When I go to Pro-tools I have the option to change the in of the midi channel to All, a number of patches incl. the 2 I have set up on Reason and Predefined Osculator channels all or 1-16. And the output has all the same options. I think I have tried about every combination but I can't separate them.
      I'm sure I'm making a very stupid mistake. Any ideas?

Comment

I've watched this tutorial and it seems that when Reason is running in Rewire mode, Pro-Tools is responsible for routing the MIDI to each instruments you have in Reason. That means that each virtual instrument track is sending the MIDI it receives the Rewire channels you have selected in the Rewire plugin (see when the instructor adds another instrument at around 5'30").

What I understand is that you need to have as many tracks as there are MIDI inputs. This is how you differentiate one input form another. So you might simply need to select the MIDI channel 6 as input on the first instrument track and MIDI channel 7 on the second track.

Comment

Thanks Cam.
          I will take another look and let you know how I get on. Somebody else also suggested using just the Native Instruments Komplete 7 like Massive. Don't know if that would be simpler to use as the instruments are plugins within Protools as opposed to Reason which has to be rewired.
          I will post my progress.
          Liz.

Comment

Working...
          X