Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TouchOSC Editor will not sync to iPad incoming port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TouchOSC Editor will not sync to iPad incoming port?

This is an issue I've had for a week now. Out of the blue my iPad can see the host computer and outgoing port. It can transmit OSC perfectly through Osculator. However, it will not sync to the TouchOSC Editor to "Add" a user template when "Sync" is engaged. I've tried multiple incoming port numbers (9000, 5400, 8999, etc.) and multiple wifi networks. I've reinstalled the app on the iPad and the Editor on my computer. I've power-cycled the iPad multiple times. Therefore, it must be something reeeaaaallllyyyyyy simple.
    Help?

What OS version are you using?
    If you are using Leopard try to reboot.
    Other than that, I have no idea how to solve this problem, it seems some users have it from time to time.
    Maybe you should ask Rob, from hexler.net …

Comment

Hi Camille. I'm running 10.6.4. I know this OS has issues reported for communication with smb networks, but I'm thinking that's a stretch for this.
      I sent dev@hexler.net an email.
      Thanks for getting back.

Comment

wow. that was it. I rebooted and disconnected other networks. I reconnected to them and the sync is still happening, so something network-wise needed to be reset. Sheesh.

Comment

Snow Leopard, ok.

FYI, Mac OS and iOS devices are running a small program that is called mDNSResponder. This program is actually the "Bonjour" stack used for example by OSCulator and TouchOSC to detect the devices on the network without configuration. This is also known as the Zeroconf protocol.

On 10.5, a bug was happening from time to time, where TouchOSC was not able to find OSCulator in the Network Settings. The reason was that mDNSResponder was not responding for some reason, and a reboot of the computer was needed.

Now, what you describe is in fact the other way round : TouchOSC Editor is not able to find your iPad running TouchOSC. So that could mean that the mDNSResponder of the iPad is not … responding. This time I would reboot the iPad to see if that makes a difference.

Another possible issue is that TouchOSC Editor is written in Java, and uses an implementation of Bonjour that is perhaps not perfect or does not play well with iOS's mDNSResponder. But this is only a hypothesis.

Comment

Ah great.
            I didn't see your answer while I was writing the other post.

Comment

I'm having a similar problem... My iPad (v3.2.2) is able to connect to Osculator perfectly fine, but when it comes to syncing to TouchOSC on my laptop (v1.4.1), it doesn’t show up in the Add Layouts page of my ipad. I’ve tried reinstalling and rebooting the apps on both my iPad and my Macbook Pro (v10.5.8), and no progress.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that my iPad isn't updated, but on the TouchOSC website it says it should be compatible...any ideas?

Comment

Hey Pakdarmo,

I am almost sure the problem has to do with your iPad that needs rebooting (again ?).
                Have you tried to connect the iPad to a network created on your computer?
                Are you using a router to do the connection?

Best,
                Cam

Comment

Hi,
                  I am having the same problem now. My ipad recognizes the network and tells me that i have 1 host in the network window however when i go to add a layout nothing shows. Before I had somehow managed to add an editor host using my host address from the network window, because the add layout never found a host. Today it wasnt responding so i deleted the editor host setting and was going to add it again but now when i go to add the editor host in the add host screen it says <Hostname/IP address> but does not let me open it to type. What do i do?
                  Thanks
                  Last edited by Santiago Alvarez; 12-01-2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

im having the same problem as the above user. connection to OSCulator works and I can control Live just fine with the 2 included ipad templates. but trying to add a layout won't find any host nor can I manually add a host. searching for insight..

Comment

Hi,

I ran into this issue as well and found that restarting the iPad and Mac can fix the problem.
                      Also, it seems that starting a layout first and then going back to the Layout settings to sync a new layout helps.

Unfortunately I have no control over the TouchOSC Editor, and can't give a better advice.

Best,
                      Cam

Comment

still no luck. i've tried reinstalling the app, i've tried restarting the computer and ipad and hard resetting the ipad but I still am not able to manually input an editor host. it's very strange, and my itouch has no problems manually inputting an editor host or downloading from them. maybe its the ipad itself?

Comment

No, this problem happens randomly with the TouchOSC Editor, I am sure the problem comes from the application.
                          Have you tried:
                          - launch TouchOSC Editor, put it in sync mode
                          - on the iPad launch the TouchOSC, run an existing layout.
                          - quit the layout, and go to the add layout panel

I found starting an existing layout could solve the sync problem.

Comment

thanks for the help. i tried that a couple times but to no avail. If i could add a host manually to TouchOSC i think it would download the layout, but the ipad absolutely will not let me enter text in that field.

Comment

Another thing you could consider is trying to connect your iPad directly to your Mac without using an intermediate wireless router.

Comment

Working...
                              X