Harp and Theremin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harp and Theremin

I'm trying to design two musical instruments with the help of Wiimote and Osculator. but I'm not familiar with the world of programming, so I need your help and suggestions, at least I want to figure out what is possible and what isn't..

Both of my ideas are based on usage of IR Leds in front of Wiimote. Leds installed into gloves or finger rings for hand-tracking.

First I want to build classic theremin-like instrument (right hand controlling the pitch, left hand - volume or other assignable characteristic of synthesizer )

Another idea is to design a kind of "fantom-harp" on the base of this 'theremin' - in this case right hand is 'moving' over the harp strings and triggering new note each time the pitch changes (like an example in video demonstration of Wii and Kyma ) and left hand change predetermined harmonies/scales (discretely or softly - like a pedal changes on steel guitar.. )

I want to now if it's possible just with a help of Wii + Osculator + sound-source synthesizer,
    or I need special software for hand tracking and some kind of modular software to emulate "harp"..?

Of course it would be better for me to keep the simplicity and use Osculator only (I really don't want to dig into programming, I just have no time for it.. ) but if it is impossible I'm thinking about getting Max 4 Live for Wii experiments.. Do you thing M4L suited to my needs?

Thanks in advance for any answers, ideas, suggestions..
    Last edited by Pavel Mikhaylov; 11-20-2010, 10:07 PM.

Dear Pavel,

Considering the instrument you would like to create, OSCulator is not able to easily do what you want. I think it would be possible to split the IR coordinates in order to trigger MIDI Notes and change volume with a MIDI CC, but it would require a lot of tedious configuration for something not flexible.

I would suggest to let OSCulator do its best, that is, act as a gateway between the Wiimote and another application that will do the smart work. Unfortunately that means that you will have to program at least a little bit.
    There are several solutions.

The first suggestion is to use Pure Data, and follow Rafael Hernandez's excellent tutorials.

You can also take a look at Processing, another free solution for creating multimedia applications.

Best,
    Camille

Comment

I see.. Thank you for your reply, Camille.

But what do you think, is it possible to realize my plan in Ableton Live with help of Osculator and Max 4 Live? I'm wondering, because today I'm going to get Max and I believe it's a little easier to understand and work with it (for non-programmer kind of person like me ) than with Pure Data..

Comment

Working...
      X