Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

connecting ipad/macpro with internet sharing (no wifi on macpro)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting ipad/macpro with internet sharing (no wifi on macpro)

Hello everybody!

I've been trying OSC (touchosc and osculator) for a few hours and it's pretty amazing!
    However I'm having some trouble using it on my setup.

My internet modem with my airport extreme is downstairs and my studio upstairs.

Wifi is provided to an iMac (with an airport card).

I then have my music MacPro with no airport card (I get internet through the iMac Internet sharing).
    Each computer is on a router.

I can access Osculator/TouchOSC on my iPad from the iMac but not from the MacPro (the iPad doesn't connect on the macpro but does on the imac).

Is there a way to make it work (without having to buy an airport card for the MacPro)?

I can't wait to incorporate it in my setup.

Thanks!
    - Vincent

Hi Vinco,

I don't think the automatic configuration published by the iPad goes through the Internet Sharing service up to your Mac Pro.
    This is why you are not able to access this device.
    In fact, because you are using Internet Sharing the MacPro and the iMac are not on the same network: the iMac allows your MacPro to use the internet by the mean of a subnetwork.

The solution in my opinion would be to use a wireless bridge that will set the two computers and the iPad on the same network (the one of your ADSL router).
    Thus the network setup would be:

Code:
    ASDL Router <-- wireless --> Wireless Router <--- Ethernet ---> iMac, Mac Pro
    And connect your iPad to the wireless router as well. This will also have the benefit of minimizing the distance between your iPad and the wireless network (instead of connecting downstairs you will connect upstairs).
    If you have an Ethernet hub or switch (because you need to connect 2 computer using Ethernet), you could buy an Airport Express station, which is the most affordable Apple product. You could also use an Airport Extreme without a hub and leave the iMac connected to the ADSL router, but I think it will be less reliable.

There is also the Airport Extreme which has a built-in hub/switch. D-Link, Cisco/Linksys and Netgear make also good products.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Hi Cam,

Thanks for your answer.

That's what I thought but I still wanted to be wrong!

I have an airport extreme. The problem is that my internet dsl input is downstairs so I had to put my airport next to it.

The rest of my stuff is upstairs which is why I use the iMac (with an airport card) as the hub for my internet.

I could switch the airport card to the macpro but I can't the iMac is kind of my server which always run in my house. the macpro is only on when I make music.

So I guess I only have 2 choices: either buy a new airport card (could I use the one from my old macpro 2008?) or buy a wireless router in addition to the one I already have. I feel like the airport card would be a more reliable solution.

Thanks again!
      - Vincent

Comment

Hey Vincent,

I think the best solution is the one I described : if you use a wireless access point (it doesn't have to be a router, just an access point) you will bring internet to both of your computers with only one wireless link. If you buy an airport card for your MacPro, first you will have to find the right model, and second, this will mean that two computers are doing Wi-Fi to a distance, which is far from being efficient.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

Thanks for your help!
          Do you have any recommendation for the wireless access point (brand/model)?
          I just wouldn't want to lose some bandwidth signal and/or reliability with another intermediate between the dsl and the router.

Thanks!
          - Vincent

BTW, I find it funny to write in English knowing that you're French and me too but anyway, it's better for the community

Comment

I just remembered I have an old WG54 Linksys Wifi Router. Will that do the trick? If so, how should I connect it?

Thanks again for your help.
            I just can't wait to start using it!

- Vincent

Comment

Salut Vincent,

If you put your WG54 wireless router in bridge mode (no routing, just wireless/ethernet pass-through), you should experience no lose of bandwith. Setup your device to join your main wireless network, and tell it to act as a bridge. I can't tell you more than this, I've never configured this device before …

Best,
              Cam

Comment

Hi Cam,

So I bought an airport express.
                It's definitely not related to Osculator but maybe you can help!

I connected my dsl to my airport extreme downstairs.

Then the airport expressed is used as the wireless extension. I plugged my router (HP) on the ethernet of the airport express.
                Pb is that my router config (192.168.2.10) can't be accessed for some reasons. Do you know why?

Thanks again!
                - Vincent

Comment

Sorry, but I have no idea!
                  What is this router and how do you try to connect to it?
                  Have you setup the Airport Express as a bridge (no routing)?

À+,
                  Cam

Comment

Hi Cam,

I got it working by changing a setting in the airport express. Still can't see the config of my router but anyway, it's a quick fix to make it work.

All is good now.

Thanks again for all your help.
                    - Vincent

Comment

Working...
                    X