Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSC routing / openFrameworks app

Hi all,

I'm not really sure if my problem is OSCulator or openframeworks related but I'll give it a try.

I'm having some issues trying to send osc data by ethernet to an openframeworks application, on port 9001.

Basically, the problem is that the OSCulator host service is recognising very randomly my OF application.

If I try from an osculator host service to a osculator client service, everything is fine and very stable. But when I try with the OF application, 98% of the time I have red lights and no OSC service found at this port.
    Which is very weird because I could get it working twice, and I did not really changed everthing in my configuration.

For now I can make routing from osculator to osculator and the routing again in local to a different port for my OF app, but that's not ideal.

Is there something I could have missed ?
    I have no clue.. The only thing I can say is that I've tried on different ports, tried with default examples ( in OF )..

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Hi Martial,

Here are a few question if you mind:
    • How is the service published? (can you show some code? OF code that publishes a zeroconf service?)
    • What is the Mac OS X version(s) you are using on both computers?
    • Could you please check that your service is properly published with the Bonjour Browser application (free and recommended!)? It must be published during all the time that you want to give access to your OSC server.

If you get red lights, it usually means that either no service is published, or that OSCulator is not able to resolve the service. I am pretty confident that zeroconf publishing and resolution work well in the latest versions of OSCulator.

For now I can make routing from osculator to osculator and the routing again in local to a different port for my OF app, but that's not ideal.
    I understand that your goal is to send data to a zeroconf-published OSC service, hence the fact you are using OSCulator on both sides to correct the publishing problem with your OF application, is that correct?

Or if publishing a service with zeroconf is not mandatory, could you try to hard-code an IP address and port in the OSC targets?

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Hello Camille,

Many thanks for the reply -
      I will try to answer you as best as I can

How is the service published? (can you show some code?)
      I could send you some code, but It's actually every basic.
      I've tried also with default examples, and with the ofxOsc library from openframeworks I can just choose a port, and then init().

What is the Mac OS X version(s) you are using on both computers?
      Both are Snow Leopard, 10.6.6

Could you please check that your service is properly published with the Bonjour Browser application (free and recommended!)?
      Back home I've tried launching my app, and checking locally - I can see OSCulator on _osc._udp but my application won't show up.

Then, yes, I would need to not have to setup nothing on the client side ( just launching the app). I tried to manually enter the oscrouting adress to clientnameort, but I'm still with red lights. Should I try with IP ?

The very weird thing, is as I said, I get it working twice, routing directly from osculator host to of application. But there's no way I can reproduce it, and I did not change anything in my OF osc settings.

Comment

Hey Martial,

If your application doesn't show up in the Bonjour Browser that means you have a problem publishing the service with the Ofx library.
        It has no relation with OSC, but with the Bonjour publishing process.
        My guess is that it publishes the service for a very short amount of time, then closes the publishing process, which would explain why it has worked on some occasions.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Thanks Camille - That's giving me some clues, very helpful!

Do you know if in any way the bonjour publish process could be affected by something independent to my OF application ?

I'm asking because I guess the ofxOSC library is stable, and I could read about some people get it working this way.

Thanks

Comment

Please send me some of your code, and I'll have a look, perhaps the problem lies in the way you are using the ofx library.
            By the way I have looked at ofxOsc and did not found signs of bonjour related code, are you sure this is included in the ofxOsc library? I have never used it so I can't tell.
            You can send it by email to camille at osculator dot net.

Comment

Yes that's what I just thought now..

I was confused because as It just worked for a moment, so I imagined in a way the bonjour service was launched automatically or sort of...
              No luck I guess !

This post is not related to OSCulator so.. Many thanks for the help though!

One more thing, if you have some links / helps about bonjour service / cocoa, that would be great. Trying to implement this would be a great add on to the library.

Comment

Hello Martial,

You should have a look if there isn't a Bonjour/Zeroconf stack that works with OF.
                Anyway, you can still use a static IP or hostname for a start.

I can give you some help on implementing Bonjour on Cocoa.
                Anyway this is really easy once you follow the right steps.
                Just drop me an email, you know the address!

Best,
                Cam

Comment

Working...
                X