Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS9 Scene Recall Help

Hey Chaps,

I've got to admit I'm very new to all of the Midi side of things, but saw some very cool things being demo'ed by a friend of mine.

The first question I have is, is it possible to recall scenes on a LS9 with OSCulator ? I've tried reading the LS9 manual but given I don't really understand MIDI its all a little confusing.

I've gotten faders to work based on touchOSC and osculator by using MIDI CC commands, but I'm lost when it comes to extra features like scene recall on the ls9.

From a quick read I have had, it looks like I may need to use NRPN - is this not supported in osculator ?

Appreciate any help you guys can give

James
    Last edited by 3guk; 03-09-2011, 06:09 AM.

Hi James,

I have downloaded the LS9 Manual, and at page 180 it seems the console scenes can be recalled by using Program Changes. If I understand correctly, you need to activate them in the console's MIDI settings.

As you noted OSCulator does not support NRPN messages at the moment, but you shouldn't need them.

Best Regards,
    Camille

Comment

Ahhh, ok, and how do I transmit program changes from osculator ?

Excuse the stupid questions, not quite got my head around the terminology.

James

Comment

Locate the message from which you want to perform an action.
        It can be a button. For example with TouchOSC the address of the button could be /1/button1.
        Then, select the Event Type MIDI Program Change, and choose your program change.
        When you release the button, a corresponding program change will be sent.

Comment

Thanks for sticking with me, I understand it and am now a whole lot less confused and have the setup working quite well.

I have one more question, as it stands I want to do a scene recall on say a bank of 5 faders, which I can do.

Is there any way to then read these changes from the desk so that on page 2 of my TouchOSC interface I can see the status of those 5 faders ?

As it stands, if I move the faders on the desk, then I see the touchosc interface update, but if I do a scene recall program change then the faders on my interface don't update.

James

Comment

Hey James,
            I need to know, when you move a fader on the desk, do you see the change back in TouchOSC?
            I wonder if the LS9 sends the current fader values when doing a scene change...

PS: fyi on a different subject, there is a layout that works with a Yamaha 01V96, I wonder if that would work with the LS9, but it's worth giving a try: http://www.osculator.net/forum/threa...with-an-iPhone

Comment

Hi There,

When I move a fader on the desk, I see the values update in Osculator, however when I do a scene recall, the only value that gets changed is /midi/program/1 which gets updated with the value of the current scene.

It would appear that when I select a scene either on the LS9 or through TouchOSC the desk does not re-transmit all updated CC values from each of the faders, is there a way that after a scene change I could ping the desk and read the CC values for each fader ?

I did have a look at the 01V96 file and it doesn't really cover any program changes / scene recalling, which is the main issue.

FYI: just purchased a license, will no doubt purchase a few more over the next few weeks. Really excellent software !!

James
              Last edited by 3guk; 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Ok done a bit more digging and it appears that StereOSCope can track the changes even when doing a scene change on the desk and the faders update.

Do you know if StereOSCope is using NRPN messages to achieve this ?

Would love to solve the final piece of the puzzle.

Thanks again

James

Comment

I have tried to see a bit more abuot StereOSCope, but can't find anything. Do you have a link so I can see how it works?

About your previous message:
                  It seems that if the console only sends the program change on scene recall, then some information is missed, which is really a bummer ; I have no idea how to get this information another way, and I don't know the console well enough to think about a solution.

In OSCulator you can use the Presets for two purposes: create different sets of events (change the structure of the messages / events), or if all the presets have the same structure and that the option "Send values when preset is recalled", let OSCulator re-send all the OSC and MIDI values.

The latter might be an option that you could use: you have a set of presets for each scene, and make the /midi/program/1 message change the preset with the "Preset" Change event. But there are two reasons why I think this would not work. First is that all of this could easily get out of sync since the scene data is not properly transmitted, and also because you mentionned that you were using different pages in TouchOSC...

Cheers,
                  Cam

Comment

Hi There,

http://stereokrauts.com/ is the link to the software, although it is nowhere near as good as Osculator, and my heart is set on OSCulator.

I think it might just be a limitation of the LS9 when using Control Change values and program change values.

I'll have a look at your proposed solution, it's not the end of the word if I can't update the faders when recalling a Scene, I'm still really impressed with what I've been able to do so far, and updating faders is just a little bugbear I guess.

On another note is there any limit to the number of AppleScripts I can trigger ? I've got a very crazy show coming up and OSCulator is very quickly becoming the best bit of software for tying it all together.

James

Comment

http://stereokrauts.com/ is the link to the software, although it is nowhere near as good as Osculator, and my heart is set on OSCulator.
                      Ah now I remember, thanks.

I think it might just be a limitation of the LS9 when using Control Change values and program change values.
                      Yes, I think so too.

I'll have a look at your proposed solution, it's not the end of the word if I can't update the faders when recalling a Scene, I'm still really impressed with what I've been able to do so far, and updating faders is just a little bugbear I guess.

On another note is there any limit to the number of AppleScripts I can trigger ? I've got a very crazy show coming up and OSCulator is very quickly becoming the best bit of software for tying it all together.
                      There is some details you need to know though about AppleScripts in OSCulator.
                      • I found more convenient to edit / prototype a script in the AppleScript Editor application, test it, and then copy / paste the script in OSCulator.
                      • The scripts are evaluated without arguments, meaning that the scripts can not be parametrized with arguments.
                      • If a script takes a long time to execute it will block the engine of OSCulator.

With this in mind you can do a lot of things, and define / trigger as many scripts as you would like.

Best,
                      Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
                        • I found more convenient to edit / prototype a script in the AppleScript Editor application, test it, and then copy / paste the script in OSCulator.
                        • The scripts are evaluated without arguments, meaning that the scripts can not be parametrized with arguments.
                        • If a script takes a long time to execute it will block the engine of OSCulator.

Mostly very small scripts triggering RS232 Output so shouldn't be an issue right ?

And yeah I totally agree, I create everything in the AppleScript editor and then just copy and paste !

James

Comment

Working...
                        X