Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge latency between TouchOSC and OSCulator

Hi,

Just today I have been experiencing huge latency between TouchOSC and OSCulator upto 6-10 seconds and sometimes even more. This is really strange as everything was working fine only 2 days ago.

I have created my own network on my macbook and used this as the netowrk for my ipad (with Airplane mode on).

I have tried everything to figure out why this is happening but for my own sanity need help from other people now.

Please help!!

Hi VcoAdsr,

I am not sure what is exactly happening with your setup, but I would try to reboot the iPad/iPhone and see if things get better ...

Cam

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I think this is actually related to the other post I submitted about setting up my ad hoc network.

Basically I followed your instructions for setting up an ad hoc network again this morning and it worked fine to begin with but then it looks like TouchOSC and OSCulator lose their connection and then several seconds later (or sometimes minutes) the connection is then re-established. So I think my network is unstable, just not sure why really?
      Certainly using my home broadband hub as a router between TouchOSC and OSCulator seems a lot more stable than using my Mac ad hoc network.
      I'm just wondering if when there are many wi-fi networks within a local area this can cause conflict and interference?

Comment

That is correct, it occurs that I followed an off-line discussion about WiFi stability wtr ad-hoc networks on the Mac.
        It seems that the networks createed on a Mac are not as strong or robust as with other devices when they are used in an environment with many other networks.

I take the freedom of quoting Etienne Noreau-Hebert from Liine that gave an excellent list of suggestions :

In case of wireless interference, the first thing to try is switching to a less crowded channel.
        You can use this software to find out which channels are the most crowded: http://www.istumbler.com/
        Setting up an AdHoc network using "Create network..." rather than by activating Internet sharing will allow to select the channel for the network.

If that doesn't work there's only two choices, track down interference sources and shut them down, or increase the networks signal power.

Going for a wlan router would indeed allow to have more radio signal power.
        The downside though is that it will add a bit of latency.

I suspect the wireless interfaces of the MBP have at most 15dBm average signal strength.
        An AirPort Extreme base station would provide 20dBm with much less obstruction on the antenna.
        The most powerful Mac laptops and desktops ever. Supercharged by Apple silicon. MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro.

In case low signal is still a problem, boosters can be added (giving up to 15x signal amplification) :

With a few of these, you guys will be the ones jamming the neighbors.
        That can be done but it would require a bit of tinkering as the AirPort Extreme needs to be opened up to connect external antennas.

Comment

Ok, so I've run some more tests this evening, using the istumbler to get more of an idea what might be going on. But my conclusion is that using the mac 'create ad hoc' network is extremely unstable and unpredictable.
          I don't think the issue is with signal strength even though this was my initial thought.

I performed your 'create ad hoc network' procedure - tried 5 times, managed to get the iPad IP address to update after the 15 second wait, go to TouchOSCs network section, see the local address has been updated BUT 4 times there was NO host!!
          Only once did it work when I used channel 2 when making the ad hoc network. ( I choose 2 because there was nothing else on this channel BUT I had used the automatic channel 11 previously and there was no other network using that channel so this still doesn't make too much sense to me).
          I then decided to reboot everything again and start from scratch to see if it worked again and was repeatable.

So I set up the ad hoc network again with channel 2 and it worked first time!!

I am loathed to say that this issue is now totally fixed as I have found that this whole episode has been highly unpredictable.

But I will definitely recommend to anyone to download the iStumbler app if they are having issues with creating ad hoc networks on a mac.

Many thanks Cam for your continue support.

I will update this topic if I find anything else that could help other people but ti looks like changing the channel from automatic 11 to 2 in this instance has at least allowed me to repeat the the process and get the same result.

Comment

Since last week I have bought myself a compact wireless router and now the link between TouchOSC and OSCulator is really stable!

I can see on iStumbler that this network has a good 30/40% stronger signal than the surrounding wifi networks which I think has solved my interference problems I was having. The router is smaller than the size of a CD case and about twice as thick so not a huge footprint.

I actually found Rob of TouchOSC on another forum explain that the ad hoc networks on macs were flakey and that he used a portable wireless router when playing live - I've copied the ebay link for the router I bought just this week which is identical to the one that Rob uses.

Hope this helps others with similar network drop issues.

Comment

Thank you for this information, this is very useful.

Comment

Working...
              X