Osculator Triggering RS232 Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osculator Triggering RS232 Strings

Any chance you could add triggering of RS232 strings to Osculator, would be horrendously useful for my next project.

At the moment I have to do it in a very clunky fashion.

James

Hey James,

This is an interesting question.

I guess you receive RS232 data from a serial device on the Mac.

What I would do in your case, is to write a very simple python script that reads the standard input, puts the data in a buffer, and sends a OSC message each time is meets the null character (end of string). Is that what you have in mind?

I can help you writing the script, but I don't think I will add such a feature to OSCulator.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

I would love to receive a script like this too if possible.
      I need to read inputs as well.

Thanks very much. Marc
      Last edited by marc.colemont; 04-19-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

You might want to take a look at http://www.spikenzielabs.com/SpikenzieLabs/Serial_MIDI.htm, if you just want MIDI over serial. (i.e. it won't handle anything but properly formed MIDI.) It's a MIDI/Serial gateway in software. Presumably it would create a virtual MIDI ports addressable by CoreMIDI that are in fact the input/output RS-232 port. I don't actually use OSCulator for music, and it's been a while since I've messed around with a DAW or a serial device, but that sounds sensible enough to me. It was made in Processing, and the source is downloadable, so you might be able to expand on it if you're hoping to talk to OSCulator via some kind of serial console....
        Last edited by AchillesActual; 05-05-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X