Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to send direction dependant messages with an endless encoder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to send direction dependant messages with an endless encoder?

I have a bcr2000 and I'd like it to send one command when I turn it one way and another command when I turn it the other. Thanks for any help!

Hi Jonah,

The solution might a bit contrived, but it should work:

First setup OSCulator so it will send OSC messages to itself:
    • open the Parameters Window and go to the OSC tab
    • in the table at the top, choose a free slot (usually slot number 2), and click on the gear icon, then choose "localhost:XYZW (this document)"
    This defines slot 2 as a OSC target that is this document, meaning that OSC routings using this target will appear in this document.
    Now, create 2 OSC routing with a special routing condition :
    • still in the Parameters Window, click on the + button to create a new OSC Routing
    • Change the target of this routing to '2' to make sure that when this routing fires, it will be sent to this document.
    • open the editor, and change "Rewrite address" to /encoder/increase (this is only an example, you can name it anything you'd like) and change "Route when:" menu to "The value increases"
    • Click the + button again to create another routing and repeat the above steps, this time with a rewrite address named /encoder/decrease that routes when "The value decreases".
    • Close the Parameters Window
    Now, you want to process you MIDI message.
    • In the main window, locate the MIDI control change message sent by the BCR2000.
    • Duplicate this message twice
    • One each duplicates, assign a OSC Routing event and assign each of the above created routings
    If all goes well, the result should be that when you change the encode value, new OSC messages will appear that correspond to an increasing or decreasing value.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Working...
    X