Super newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super newbie question

Sorry for the extremely elementary nature of this question, but how do I upload a layout I create on OSCulator to TouchOSC?

I can sync back and forth using the TouchOSC editor. Do I need to export an OSCulator layout to the TouchOSC editor?

OSCulator appears as a found host in the "Connections" settings, and it's receiving signals back and forth, but how do I actually save an OSCulator layout? If I attempt to add a layout using "Editor Hosts" and enter my computers IP address it says "Connection failed! Could not connect to the server."

Thanks!

Hello hecksome,

You can create your own layouts using the TouchOSC Editor application, and send your custom layout to TouchOSC using this application. Another way to sync a layout is to use iTunes and add or removes files with the file manager.

OSCulator on another hand has no relationship with a layout and therefore has no need for "syncing" a layout with TouchOSC. OSCulator understands the OSC protocol – used by TouchOSC and other "OSC enabled" application – to convert it to something else, like MIDI Control Change messages, generate keyboard shortcuts, move the mouse, etc.

TouchOSC must know of the destination to where it sends its OSC messages. To configure this, you setup OSCulator as a target in the Network Settings of TouchOSC. When this is done, you can then touch controls in TouchOSC, and you will see the corresponding messages automatically registered in OSCulator.

At this point, OSCulator won't do anything useful. You have to do the mapping between those received messages, and what you desire as a result.

Hopefully, this short explanation gave you a basic understanding of how OSCulator works. If you want more information, I would suggest you read the first chapter of the PDF manual (also found in the Help menu of the latest version, 2.11).

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Awesome! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. That makes sense!

Comment

One further question, if you please:

I can use OSCulator to change the function of sliders in TouchOSC in a standalone synth (Kontakt), but for some reason in Pro Tools, it's not working. For example, I'm using the second fader in the simple layout to control the mod wheel, and that works fine, but if I reassign it to a different CC it won't change, and still controls the mod wheel. Like I said, in a standalone synth it works great, but no luck in Pro Tools. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi hecksome,

I am sorry but I don't have a clue about what is happening.
          What Pro-Tools version are you using and how to you assign parameters in Pro-Tools?

Cam

Comment

Working...
          X