Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help understanding OSCulator. several questions

Hi Camille,

Just started using your great program, i can see the major benefits of this and look forward to learning everything there is about it however i'm having difficulty trying to understand it (not sure if i need coding experience or not)

I have gone through the forum and still can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for. I have a few questions i'm hoping you can answer for me.

1 - creating a push button that can do multiple things (ie, clip launch.. set to chain from launch pad A to B)
    2 - is it possible to create a d-pad controller to scroll through the set scenes in ableton live set. Choosing between Deck A and Deck B and then possibly selecting this from Touchosc?
    3 - creating LED activation, when a fader is used (to recognise its on and off value), also eg...fader value 0.5,0.75, and 1 (3 LEDs stating which value the fader is at)

please let me know if you have the solution.

kind regards
    Corey

Hi Corey!

Originally posted by coreya View Post
    1 - creating a push button that can do multiple things (ie, clip launch.. set to chain from launch pad A to B)
    Do you mean a button that when it is pressed triggers multiple events?
    You can do that by selecting the message associated with the button, and choose Duplicate from the Edit menu. This creates a blue copy of the message that is called a "duplicate" in OSCulator's jargon. You can then assign another event to that duplicate.

2 - is it possible to create a d-pad controller to scroll through the set scenes in ableton live set. Choosing between Deck A and Deck B and then possibly selecting this from Touchosc?
    I think you can scroll through scenes using the trick described in this post: http://controllerism.net/forum/index...g61.html#msg61
    Just use different MIDI CC for your buttons and assign them to the scene change in Live as described above.

For the latter, I guess that you are talking about Traktor.
    In Traktor's Controller Manager, I would create two Input mappings for Layout / Device Focus Select. Then I would map two different MIDI CC for each of them. Then they would be configured as follows:
    • Type of Controller : Button
    • Interaction Mode : Direct
    • Set to Value : Deck A (Deck B for the other button)

3 - creating LED activation, when a fader is used (to recognise its on and off value), also eg...fader value 0.5,0.75, and 1 (3 LEDs stating which value the fader is at)
    This would require some tedious configuration work to do this. The first reason is that there is no way to map a control in Ableton Live to a MIDI CC without sending it first the MIDI CC. Because LEDs in TouchOSC do not send any message, you have to work around by mapping the MIDI CC first to a control that use for the mapping and then discard (using a dummy fader for example). The second reason is that for each LED you will need to adjust the input scaling in OSCulator so that it responds to each value range (0.0-0.25, 0.25-0.50, 0.50-0.75, etc.)

Attached is an example of how to use Input Min / Input Max scaling parameters along with the Cap option in order to control 4 LED from one fader. It contains an Ableton Live set, a TouchOSC layout and an OSCulator file. It works with the MIDI CC 0 on channel 1 (mapped to the first fader in the example Live set). In fact, it would work with anything that uses this MIDI CC. You can use the same technique in Traktor, but as Traktor lets you define mappings manually, you don't need the dummy fader trick.

Here is how I created this:
    • First I created the layout: a dummy fader for the MIDI mapping in Live, and 4 LEDs
    • In OSCulator, I mapped the dummy fader to MIDI CC 0 channel 1.
    • I also created 4 OSC Routings for each LED (/1/led1, /1/led2, /1/led3, and /1/led4).
    • In Ableton Live, I mapped the dummy fader to the first track's fader. In consequence, a MIDI message was sent from Live to OSCulator. This is the message that will control our LEDs, so I duplicated this message 3 times to be able to map this message to all 4 LEDs.
    • I finally edited the Scalings of those 4 duplicates to the following Input Min / Max values. Each message had the Cap option checked:
      • /midi/cc0/1 [0] : OSC Routing (/1/led1) — input min=1, max=32
      • /midi/cc0/1 [0] : OSC Routing (/1/led2) — input min=33, max=65
      • /midi/cc0/1 [0] : OSC Routing (/1/led3) — input min=66, max=98
      • /midi/cc0/1 [0] : OSC Routing (/1/led4) — input min=99, max=127
    Now, when I move the fader in Live, the LED are going on and off like a bargraph.

Don't hesitate if you have any other question.

Best Regards,
    Cam
    Attached Files

Comment

hi cam,

thanks for your quick response. Fortunately, after a little headache myself i managed to figure out the LED activation pattern this morning, which you just confirmed was correct. I had to wrap my head around it to understand it but hopefully it has sunken in.
      Appreciate your response to the other questions, i'll try those suggestions out and if i have anymore questions.. you'll be the first to know.

Big thanks
      Corey

Comment

also cam, in regards to the first question! Let me clarify a little more

Multi Pad A - 16 Ableton Live Scenes (Channel or Deck A)
        Multi Pad B - 16 Ableton Live Scenes (Channel or Deck B)

Need a toggle or switch to enable one or the other, not at the same time. Bascially allowing the user to switch between Deck A Scenes or Deck B Scenes.

Let me know.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Corey,

I'm glad to see you have been to figure out the solution

About your last question: I am sorry I don't undestand. I don't see what you mean by "decks". Live doesn't have decks, right?

Anyway, here's a guess: use a Channel Change event to change the channel of the events you have assigned to the Multi-Push controls. Another solution would be to two different Presets in OSCulator to toggle between two sets of events.

Cam

Comment

Sorry cam.. what i mean by 'decks' is each individual channel that live represents. An audio channel renamed and configured like Deck A, B, C, D etc.

Basically one toggle or push button that would be assigned to each audio channel (audio a and audio b) that once pressed, it toggles between the two, enabling a user to switch between those channels with the press of a button. Basically for easier navigation through live's channels.

Comment

OK, so I understand that you would like a tool to select an active track.

You could do that in OSCulator by using several push button controls, each of them being duplicated as many times you need to activate/deactivate each track in Live. Then force the output min and max scalings to 127/127 for one MIDI CC, and 0/0 for the others. This way, when you press a button it will unmute one track, and mute the others. Repeat this for the remaining buttons, to unmute/mute the other sets of tracks.

It would be much more simple if TouchOSC provided a mutually exclusive button control, like a radio buttons group.

Best,
              Cam

Comment

The whole purpose is to effectively have 1 button that switches between channels or devices, not several as you've suggested. Touchosc should surely provide advanced controls in future updates to allow such intricate assignments.

Are you able to provide an ableton+touchosc+osculator project to explain what you mean?

Thanks

Comment

If I understand correctly you would like one button to cycle through several tracks (mute/unmute them). Each time you tap on the button, you select another track, is that right?
                  I don't see exactly how I could do that, but with multiple buttons, that should be possible.

Comment

Working...
                  X