Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii remote connection problem

Hello,

Let me start by saying this is a great piece of software and I have used it with touch OSC for live performances which is pretty cool.

I'm now trying to get the Wii remote working with an aim to control Ableton. My remote is one of the compatible ones and I'm running a Mac Book Pro 2.2Ghz core 2 duo with Snow leopard and Osclulator Version 2.11.1 (20111206).

The batteries are new and shows full, but the remote only seems to connect once every 6-8 attempts and when it did connect it worked fine for 5 mins then disconnected. I'm wondering if this is a setup problem or wether it's to do with the bluetooth? I'm sitting infront of my computer so it cant be to do with distance (I do want to use this on stage so 5 meters is required really).

I read in a previous post that someone sorted out their connection problem with a bluetooth dongle but if I can sort it without spending more money then the better.

Thanx - Quaigy

Also I osculator has crashed now.

Comment

I have installed the developer tools for mac and in the bluetooth diagnostics panel it shows good strength (-12) when sitting infront of my computer. But this is only when the connections is made (which doesn't happen often and only stayed connected for 1.30mins last time) I hope this information helps narrow down the issue :-)

Thanx

Comment

Hi Quaigy,

Thank you for the detailed report!
        You can download a new build at the usual location (http://www.osculator.net/download), which should hopefully fix the connection problems you are having.

The problem with the disconnection after 5 minutes though is more intriguing. As I noted in other posts, I have never seen the Wiimote disconnecting after some time for other reasons than empty batteries, low wireless signal, or a faulty blutooth interface.

I would love to know your feedback on the new version before turning on automatic updates.

Best Regards,
        Camille

Comment

Thanx for the reply I'll give it a go fingers crossed!

Comment

Hi Quaigy & camille,

I am having the exact same issues. I currently have the most up-to-date version of OSCulator (amazing software by the way) and am having both of these connection issues. When pairing to my computer it will connect/disconnect several times before finally holding a decent connection, only to disconnect within the next 5 or so minutes.

Your comment about low battery issues is interesting. I modded and rewired the wiimote and I know that doing so can cause extra battery drain (pretty sure my design is not affected by this but I will be testing and looking into how to minimize this). However when I replace the batteries with brand new ones it still has the same issues.

I primarily work from my home and also my studio. One interesting thing i've noticed is at home it will connect fairly quickly (but will still disconnect after about 5 minutes), whereas at my studio it takes about 6-7 times of pairing the connection before it actually works (and then still disconnects after about 5min). Is it possible that this is a bluetooth issue? It could just be coincidence (I will test this more extensively later).

I recently designed a "MIDI-Glove" to use in my live performances but with these connection issues it is too unreliable to ever use live Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Eric Dobyns

Comment

Hello Eric,

As I often say, once the Wiimote is connected there is no (software wise) reason that the Wiimote shall disconnect by itself. The only cause I see is a weak bluetooth signal or low batteries.

I've had several reports like yours in the last months, and it seems there is a great probability that there is a problem with your MacBook's bluetooth receiver. I've read at several places that internal bluetooth receivers in Macs were not very powerful in terms of signal strength. Maybe the aluminum case is a factor, anyway... It really makes me believe that there is a problem with the signal when you say that you have two different connection qualities depending on where you are.

In this thread, the user has the same symptoms. We continued to converse directly by email, and he said that using an alternate bluetooth adapter, he stopped having the disconnections. Another evidence that the bluetooth adapter may have problems on some Macs.

On the other hand, OSCulator 2.11 (and before) rely on the knowledge of the Wiimote's bluetooth address in order to help it connect to the computer (still, not a problem once it is connected). So, if the address of your Wiimote is not known, that would explain why you try several times to connect it (but not why it better works at home).

If you want, you can try the latest beta version that has a different connection method, based on a permanent pairing of the Wiimote with the computer. Please note that if you try this beta version, and if you want to go back to an older version you will have to perform som (simple) steps that I will document on the beta page if needed.

Before trying the beta, though, I would try a different bluetooth adapter. You can find some suggestions (user contributed) on the Bluetooth Adapters page.

I hope this helps.

Best,
              Cam

Comment

Camille,

Thanks for the quick response! I definitely agree that it sounds like a bluetooth issue. The way it is having trouble connecting and disconnecting looks exactly like a weak signal. Later today I will test out an alternate bluetooth adapter and post my results. If there's no luck there I will test out the beta software. Thanks for all the help! I will continue to stay in touch,

Eric

Comment

So the new pairing method in the beta 2.12 version works great! If anyone is having trouble with pairing, holding a connection, or pairing multiple wiimotes, try downloading the latest beta on the download page. I am able to hold a connection from about 15-20 feet away and the circuit board stopped disconnecting after 2-5 minutes. I did some research on the macbook pro aluminum bodies and it seems other people are having shoddy bluetooth issues when it comes to the devices they are pairing with. I plan to spend some cash later this week and buy a bluetooth adapter to see if that can increase the signal and even the distance. Ill post my results.

Anyways, try out the beta!

Cheers,

Eric

Comment

Thanks dobii!
                    Looking forward to reading you.

Comment

Working...
                    X