Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

some troubles with wifi... and osculator or touchosc ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some troubles with wifi... and osculator or touchosc ?

Hi camille... was a long time !

OK, I now use TouchOSC / OSCulator / Traktor for more than a year... several gigs/mixes made with that.

There's just one thing I don't find a solution for...

When I'm at home, i'm on my own freebox. It works flawlessly. Nearly all the time, I was lucky enough to have a wifi network that was connected to the internet... it worked flawlessly.

BUT
    when I try to use MyWi... No effect. iPad and MacBookPro both got compatible IP, but OSCulator and TouchOSC does not communicate. I tried E V E R Y T H I N G... MyWi with usb on the iPad for a direct feed, MyWi on my iphone to be used as a WiFi spot, MyWi on the iphone with wifi spot for the ipad AND usb share for the Mac Book. FUck, nada, nothing, nitchevo, zobi, queud', just get lost.

I got a Airport Express. Did the same. NO WAY. I tried every setting, AN-Y-THIN-G !! If there's no "internet" connection (I think it's more something like a proper router behind the airport express ?) no way. no way. nothing. I tried fixed IP, on the same sub network... DHCP.. nadaaaaaaa!!!!

And, of course, my airport express works like a charm, when I control a M7CL or a LS9 ... without any internet. Same thing for my HUI emulated controller for ProTools/Logic...

So please (camille, or anyone else ?), help em to sort out that pb... one day or another I'll have a gig in a place without any WiFi.... and I'll be fucked.

just noticed it's the same thing with MIDI Bridge and Core MIDI.

I should be missing something somewhere.... but what would it be ?

Comment

Hey krr!

It is difficult to find a solution to your problem. For a start, the MyWi solution might not work for everybody because this is a "jailbreak" solution. There could be some interaction between other jailbroken software and MyWi that would prevent the USB network from working properly. I once had problems with MyWi, so I deleted every possible network configuration related to MyWi and the iPad on my computer, also re-installed MyWi, and it seems all went into order. I had no exact idea of what happened, it just worked.

Now, here are a few "pro tips" that I gathered from touring professionals:

- Use a single network configuration at home or on tour. Once your setup is rugged and tested, and because you always use the same gear, yo uwill never have to touch the settings.
      - The best way to connect an iPad and a Mac together when you are on tour is to use a good WiFi access point (see this thread for some examples). Plug the Mac in the Ethernet port, and connect your iPad to the WiFi network. When you are at home, use the WAN Ethernet port to provide internet accessbility to the devices connected to the access-point.
      - Use an access-point that has antennas. Antennas are important to properly carry the signal around you. In urbans areas crowded with a multitude of WiFi networks, you need to connect to one that does not suffer from interferences. The Mac Book internal WiFi adapter is too weak to rely on it.
      - Don't use home DSL routers. Even though they seem to work, they are a source of troubles.
      - When you are on stage, never connect your iPad to a WiFi network that has a connection to the Internet, and don't forget to diable any possible notification that could pop-up while you are playing.

Best,
      Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
        Hey krr!
        It is difficult to find a solution to your problem. For a start, the MyWi solution might not work for everybody because this is a "jailbreak" solution. There could be some interaction between other jailbroken software and MyWi that would prevent the USB network from working properly. I once had problems with MyWi, so I deleted every possible network configuration related to MyWi and the iPad on my computer, also re-installed MyWi, and it seems all went into order. I had no exact idea of what happened, it just worked.
        I tried. Even reinstalled the whole iphone. I killed every process... Never worked. Nor in the previous versions of touchOSC or MyWi. Simply never worked. Ever... -___-'

Now, here are a few "pro tips" that I gathered from touring professionals:
        - Use a single network configuration at home or on tour. Once your setup is rugged and tested, and because you always use the same gear, yo uwill never have to touch the settings.
        I do agree, that's what I'm trying to set. Unfortunatly, my freebox (which is the only stuff where it works) can't work except at my home (:

- The best way to connect an iPad and a Mac together when you are on tour is to use a good WiFi access point (see this thread for some examples). Plug the Mac in the Ethernet port, and connect your iPad to the WiFi network. When you are at home, use the WAN Ethernet port to provide internet accessbility to the devices connected to the access-point.
        - Use an access-point that has antennas. Antennas are important to properly carry the signal around you. In urbans areas crowded with a multitude of WiFi networks, you need to connect to one that does not suffer from interferences. The Mac Book internal WiFi adapter is too weak to rely on it.
        - Don't use home DSL routers. Even though they seem to work, they are a source of troubles.
        - When you are on stage, never connect your iPad to a WiFi network that has a connection to the Internet, and don't forget to diable any possible notification that could pop-up while you are playing.
        there's one thing here: I didn't try the Airport Express with the Ethernet cable connected to it. Plus, I recently bought some brand new D-Link DIR 615 (WRT powaaaaa) , so I'm gonna try with that. But I think there's something here I'm missing.... you know, the hidden switch or setting....

Comment

Have you tried creating your own network with your mac and connecting everything through that? Seems like the cleanest way to do gigs to me. Don't need to use anyone elses networks/worry about dropped signals. Appologies if I missed the plot on this one.

Comment

I think I tried... and it doesn't work. Gonna try again.

Comment

Well, it seems there's is something wrong with my ipad... sometimes, despite of the fact it shows proper wifi and/or proper 3G network, no connection works. Bonjour (zeroconf) does not seems to work... I don't really know why ? I've trashed nearly every jailbreak app... and none of them were network related ! If I set all things using IP, then it works...

mebbe I'll try a full recovery....?!

Comment

If you think it might be a probelm with Bonjour you should try another bonjour application between your iPad and MBP. The Remote app that lets your ipad/iphone control itunes is free and uses bonjour. Create a dedicated network on your MBP (made by clicking on the wifi symbol at the top and going to Create Network) and try to see if you can connect your iPad to iTunes on your Mac.

Also, are you running Snow Leopard? Lion? Is little snitch installed on your MBP?

Best,

KM
                Last edited by Kid Missleproof; 02-13-2012, 03:22 AM.

Comment

seems something rong with bonjour, definitly.... I'm on Lion, no L.S installed on my traktor computer... I think the pb is in the iPad...

Comment

Ok, the next step is to try the same thing with your iPod/iPhone and see if you can control itunes on your MB via remote on a different device. When i was researching my problem I ran into a couple threads with people running ios 5 and Lion having the same sort of connection issues.

Other troubleshooting options would be to get a hold of a different ipad and see if you can connect that. Even better would be another iPad with ios 5 installed and one with a previous version.

Let me know how things go.

Comment

As far as I know, I got no pb with my iphone which is under iOs 5.0.1 as well... and it seems that a simple reboot of the iPad is enough to fix the pb....

but in the meantime, I got the pb with the WiFi card since 10.7.2 (when you wake the mac after a basic sleep) ... the wifi card refuses to activate. It was supposed to be fixed with 10.7.3 but in my case, it doesn't.

so, it seems that I can fix the pb with a reboot of both iPad and MBP... the only question remaining now is: after a reboot, how long will the system works ? If it works for hours... well, it's no big pb... if it means I got to reboot every 20 mins, I got a pb.

Comment

Working...
                      X