Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display in a label

I have Osculator, TouchOSC, iPad2.

I want to display some user input in a text field (label) in TouchOSC. For example..
    I made a number pad and would like to display the numbers I enter and then be able to clear them out when I hit the "enter" button I have made as well. Also, there are some buttons I would like to display the names of when pressed.

Is there a way to do this? Sorry if this has been covered else where.

Thanks for any help.

Hi bleach30,

I'm afraid it is not possible to implement a number pad control like you describe with TouchOSC and OSCulator.
    What would you like to control? Maybe there is another way of doing the same thing.

Now, if your number pad is used to display a single number, then you can use the OSC Routing event to send OSC messages to TouchOSC and display the numbers in a label (there are some threads explaining how to use a OSC Routing and TouchOSC labels on the forum). With a more specific description, I can send you an example of how to display something in a label.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Hey Cam. Man you're fast!

So Im using the number pad to enter time, like bars/beats, into my DAW. I don't need them to receive anything really, I just wanted some visual feedback on the numbers Im pushing. Maybe a single number at a time would work. If you have an example of something like this that would be great!

Comment

Hey Bryan!
        The problem with number pad approach is that you can not type several numbers, make it a number and send it to your DAW...
        You could do that if you use PureData or Max for the processing of each typed number.

Comment

Hmmm..Max...that sounds more complicated than its worth.

So anything more than a single number like 0 to 9 is doable but something like 125 is not. Right? I guess I will look into using Max as well...maybe.
          Do you have an example of displaying a single number anyway? Now I just want to know how.

Comment

Hi Bryan,

Here are OSCulator and TouchOSC files showing an example of how to change the text in a label.
            Here are the steps required to reproduce this example:

Display text in label 1.pngDisplay text in label 2.pngDisplay text in label 3.pngDisplay text in label 4.png

Best,
            Cam
            Attached Files

Comment

That works great! Yeah, its only one number at a time but at least I have a visual cue of what is being pushed. Thanks.

Since Im here...is there any way to have LEDs be on automatically when opening my TouchOSC temp for the first time? There are a couple that I want to be on by default without having to push the corresponding button first.

Comment

Alrighty.. I came up with a waayy-around work around to display three numbers using layers and the /visible tag. Its not an elegant answer but it does what I wanted which is give me feedback on the numbers Im pushing. There are some little things like not being able to go back and delete the prev number but its not a big deal. I guess I could use the same process for a delete function..maybe another day.

Anyway thanks for the help with the lables!

Comment

Hi Bryan,

I'm sorry I couldn't answer earlier.
                  As for your previous question, TouchOSC does not seem to send a message when a layout is restored, therefore I don't see an easy soltion for that...

Best,
                  Cam

Comment

Working...
                  X