Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another balance board issue.

Hi forum,
    I saw a previous poster had an issue where a wii balance was only showing the discover button in osculator.
    I'm having the same problem, and since neither the op nor the developer posted any information about how they solved the problem, I am coming here to work it out.
    The bluetooth address is RVL-WBC-01 and it's showing up fine in the mac bluetooth settings.
    Any idea where to start?
    What can I give you to get you started?

Hi Greg,

The Wii balance board can be paired and connected just like other Wiimotes.
    You first start the Pairing and press the red button inside the board. Once paired, you can connect it by pressing the button on the front. I am not sure to fully understand the issue you are having, so if you need more details feel free to ask.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

I started by pushing the red button inside and then pushing the front button.

Now my osculator screen shows:
      /wii/1/battery
      /wii/1/button/A

and registers pushes to the discover button. No sign of input from the rest of the balance board.
      How do I get the board itself working?

Comment

Same issue as here: http://www.osculator.net/forum/threa...rs-not-working

Comment

*It's the same issue, I just can't figure out what's wrong.

Comment

The problem referred to in this thread has been fixed a long time ago.
            What version of OSCulator are you using and what is your OS X version ?

Comment

Osculator 2.12.3
              OS X 10.6.8
              I simply meant that I also am getting no response from the sensors, only the power and sync button.

Comment

I understand.
                Sorry, I have one more question to ask:
                Are you connecting the Balance Board just by pressing the front button, or are you pairing it every time (that is, you start the pairing process and then press the red sync button on the board every time you want to connect it)?

Comment

Camille,
                  It is working now, and I'm not sure what changed.
                  I did charge the batteries overnight, but I saw no indication last night that the problem was related to battery charge.
                  Is there any information I can give you to make this better-documented?
                  It is now working every time I push the button on the front of the board - no need to push the red sync button.
                  Thank you for a great product! I'll be paying as soon as I'm employed. :-p
                  Last edited by reverendgreg; 11-02-2012, 05:24 PM. Reason: More detail to describing a solution.

Comment

Hey Greg,

It's great to hear it is working now!
                    I think there is still a small weakness in the initialization code. There has been a previous post about third party Wiimotes sometimes failing to report their accelerometers data. It looks very much like the Balance board problem. I noticed that not all Balance boards were the same, and some were more sensitive to this initialization timing.
                    I will soon release an update that I hope will make the connection of third party Wiimotes and balance boards even more robust (a lot of progress has been done in this area during the last year though). Stay tuned.
                    Anyway if you notice anything wrong or if you need help, just ask here.

Best,
                    Cam

Comment

Still having this issue

Originally posted by camille View Post
                      Hey Greg,

It's great to hear it is working now!
                      I think there is still a small weakness in the initialization code. There has been a previous post about third party Wiimotes sometimes failing to report their accelerometers data. It looks very much like the Balance board problem. I noticed that not all Balance boards were the same, and some were more sensitive to this initialization timing.
                      I will soon release an update that I hope will make the connection of third party Wiimotes and balance boards even more robust (a lot of progress has been done in this area during the last year though). Stay tuned.
                      Anyway if you notice anything wrong or if you need help, just ask here.

Best,
                      Cam
                      I have just emailed you, but this is the exact same issues that I am having now. Can you please look into it and see what I should do to fix it?

Comment

I am having this issue as well.

Wii Balance board + Osculator 2.9 + OSX 10.6 worked fine for years.

After upgrading to a Mountain Lion 10.8.4 machine, I can pair/connect to the Wii Balance board but I only receive the battery and button data; nothing from the other sensors.

I've upgraded to the latest Osculator (2.13) and no luck.

I've tried pairing using the red sync button, then connecting using the front button. I've also tried using the red sync button exclusively. I only ever see /wii/1/battery and /wii/1/button.

After reading that the initialization might be a bit finicky, I tried pairing/connecting about a dozen times just in case it was a random thing. No luck there either.

How can I troubleshoot this further?

Thank you,
                        David

Comment

Hi David!

Lion and Mountain Lion have changed some aspects of the bluetooth stack. Because the exacts technical specs of the Balance Board are unknown, I have not been able to implement robust support for every version of the board and operating systems.

Just a quick reminder (for other readers as it seems you have followed the steps correctly):
                          OSCulator 2.12 and higher have a single way to connect a Wiimote or Balance board: you first pair it with the red button, and once it is paired, pressing any button will connect the remote or board to the computer. Which means that the Balance Board is not supposed to be correctly connected when you use the red button, that's for pairing.

I will do further testing this week and come back to you friday morning, if I find anything. Otherwise, I will ask you to run some tests on your computer so I can understand what's going on.

Best,
                          Cam

Comment

Hi David,

A quick question:
                            Have you been using the board regularly or have you started using it again after a long period without using it?

Best,
                            Camille

Comment

Hi Camille,

Sorry for the delay. I hadn't noticed the reply.

The board was being used regularly; it stopped working after switching to a Mountain Lion machine.

David.

Comment

Working...
                              X