Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection

So most people have at one point had their wiimotes connect or be connected or have sort of success that I haven't had. So when I start up OSCulator, I'm not even sure what exactly is supposed to happen but I do get the message that it is "running." It is my understanding that wiimotes use bluetooth to communicate so it would seem that it should be available when I browse for bluetooth devices but as usual, nothing. I have tried multiple programs and combinations of programs with still no luck. I press 1+2 simultaneously: nothing. I did read something about wiimote use being limited in OS X version 10.7.5 as well as the other way around but also heard that OSCulator got around those issues. So I have absolutely no idea what is going on and why I cant connect. Remote is not faulty as I have tested the connection with a wii as well as several different remotes on my computer with no outcome. Need some help here is proof of my unsuccess while 1+2 are held simultaneously:

This is not true, everybody connects its Wiimotes when instructions are followed.

In short, you don't press buttons 1&2.
    It is not something that kind of works, it just works, the driver is stable and so far free from defect. The known problems are the following:
    - can lead to a crash on 10.5.8 because of a bug in OS X.
    - can refuse to connect on 10.6.8 because of a corrupted Bluetooth stack.

Comment

Pressed the red button on the inside of remote, same result... No discoverable bluetooth device, nor does OSCulator pick it up although it says it is running... again, running 10.7.5 so those issues dont apply... still dont know what I am doing wrong, open to more suggestions...
      Last edited by SterlingButters; 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Hi SterlingButters,

OSCulator saying it is "running" does mean it is currently pairing a remote.
        Please follow the instructions exactly as they are described:
        - start the pairing process by clicking the "Start pairing button" in the Wiimote drawer
        - press the red button
        - once the Wiimote is paired subsequent connections must be made by pressing any button on the Wiimote, it remembers your computer and will connect to it.

Please don't use the system Bluetooth assistant to pair the remote.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Yes but it always says it is running, even when there is no wiimote present... I am at school where I am sure there is no wiimote, I am running OSCulator and it currently says it is running... How long is the connection process? because it says it is running long after the lights on the wiimote had gone out (when I try this at home)... It is not connecting, is there some kind of prerequisite that noone knows about or some kind of setting that I altered without knowing? If you think I am following the instructions incorrectly you are welcome to Teamviewer with me and tell me what I am doing wrong, but i have done exactly what the instructions outline with no avail

Comment

The "Running" status tells you the application is ready to receive data from OSC or MIDI. If you press the pause button you will see it goes to the "Paused". This has nothing to do with the Wiimote pairing, and all of this is clearly explained in the user manual.

There is no hidden setting and the connection process is almost instantaneous.

Comment

Then it is not connecting, I have pressed the red button as well as "Start Pairing", nothing... I can read and follow directions, I wouldn't have come on a forum if i hadn't tried something else first...

Comment

Please give me more information:
                - did you buy this Wiimote recently?
                - have you tried it with another computer?
                - what is the model of your computer;
                - what is the version of OSCulator.

The Bluetooth Assistant must not be used to pair a Wiimote with OSCulator, but to lift any doubt here what should happen when you press the red button inside a working Wiimote and bring up the Bluetooth Assistant:
                BA.png
                So it seems much likely that you have a problem with your remote or your computer.

Comment

-Yes from Amazon (supposedly new but no box)
                  -No have not tried with another computer
                  -Late 2010 Macbook Pro 13" running OS X 10.7.5
                  -OSCulator version: 2.12.6

Exactly!! thats what I am trying to get... For sure there is a problem but there no symptoms on which to base a diagnosis as:
                  -wiimote works fine with a Wii
                  -Computers bluetooth works fine as I use my Apple Magic Mouse all the time

So I guess the question becomes how can I diagnose my problem less generally i.e. "computer problem" or "wiimote problem"?

Comment

The only reason I can see is that the kernel extension of a previous version of OSCulator is left installed on your computer without having being upgraded (this is normally done automatically).

I can do a further diagnosis of your computer if your send me an Apple System Profile. To prepare an ASP, click on the Apple menu, and choose "About This Mac...", then click on "More Info..." (your mileage may vary). This will open the Apple System Profiler application. From here choose File->Save and send the resulting file to camille at osculator dot net.
                    I will have a look and hhopefully the reason why the Wiimote is not detected by your computer.

Comment

Working...
                    X