Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multipush confusion

Hi there
    I am a noob but have really enjoyed getting going with OSC.
    I am trying to understand how to configure a simple Multipush to let me cycle, manually, through the factory and User preset banks of a MIDI capable effects pedal.
    I can't find any info anywhere. All tutorials seem to focus on basic Faders and Rotaries etc etc

Any clues would be much appreciated!

-___-

Hi Wiremu,

Welcome to this forum!

I will assume you MIDI pedal responds to standard MIDI messages like Program Change, etc.

The first thing to know is that changing the banks using is not something easy to do with OSCulator, at least not at the moment. (FYI, the Bank Select message is two Control Change messages followed by a Program Change, see http://somascape.org/midi/tech/spec.html#banksel).

Now, your MIDI pedal is an external device, so you must tell OSCulator that you want to send MIDI message through a physical MIDI port, not just the one by default. To do this, open the Parameters window, go to MIDI I/O and activate the MIDI Output port to which your pedal is connected.

You might to go for a simple program change for a start. For this, setup your multipush as desired and tap evey buttons so their messages appear in OSCulator's messages list (the main window). Then assign a different MIDI Program Change to each OSC message received. The identifier number of a Program Change decides what preset will be chosen on your pedal box.

You should now be able to press a button on the Multipush, and change a preset on your pedal.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Multipush confusion

Hi Camille
      Thanks!
      and thank you for such a prompt reply.
      Unfortunately it is the very set up that I do not understand: I have previously made push buttons for bank/patch select that work fine being MIDI Prg Change with "mirrored", or identical range values set in the TouchOSC Editor. But, of course, when highlighting a new Multipush group in same, that option is applicable only to the whole...
      So there I am, er..

best
      wiremu

Comment

I am sorry, I don't understand.
        Could you please give a bit more detail about your problem?

Comment

Hi Camille

Golly you are quick!

Um, so here is the pedal info regarding MIDI Patch changes.

"TimeLine patches are arranged in 100 banks of 2
          patches each for a total of 200 presets. MIDI access
          to these patches is available as MIDI program change
          messages. Via MIDI, the patches are numbered
          sequentially, for example:
          BANK 1A = MIDI program # 0
          BANK 1B = MIDI program # 1
          BANK 2A = MIDI program # 2
          BANK 2B = MIDI program # 3
          BANK 3A = MIDI program # 4
          etc ...
          To access patches 0-127 via MIDI, send regular
          program change messages. To access patches 128 to
          199, first send a MIDI Patch Bank message (CC# 0)
          with a value of 1, then the program change message"

I was able to create the first three or four manually yesterday as Push Buttons, (for the first Patches in the 0 to127 range), and they were working fine. I stopped because I thought the Multipush facility would quicken the process. (But now I find that when touching them on the iPhone screen they are not able to highlight individually and go berserk).
          Each Push had its' own range, set in TouchOSC Editor, as Range: 0 to 0, Range: 1 to 1, Range: 3 to 3 etc. In Osculator I set the Event type to MIDIPrg and gave each a unique value in ascending order and all on Channel 1.
          So yesterday that functioned correctly but today not and I am still at a loss as to how to configure the Multipush.

Thanks for your patience
          wiremu

Comment

I think you should not change the range in TouchOSC Editor.
            Just leave the buttons output values from 0.0 to 1.0 (actually 0.0 and 1.0 are the sole possible values), this is what OSCulator expects by default.

I just created a multipush with one line of buttons and assigned each of them to a program change, it just works. Maybe it is not exactly what you wanted, sorry if I misunderstood.

Multipush PC.pngMIDI Monitor - PC.png

Comment

Hi Camille
              Thank you for that: I have tried it but without luck.
              My manual push button attempts are working again though so I guess I will plough-on therewith.
              I guess the problem is that as a MIDI/OSC/Osculator noooob I have dived in without knowing what is what and should maybe come back when, and if, things become more clear and defined to me, so that i do not waste your time.

Thank you very much, again...
              Best,
              wiremu.

Comment

You are welcome.
                I'm glad to help, I am aware this field of computer music is not always easy to grasp.

Comment

Working...
                X