Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slipOSC to send data to teensy

Hello,
    I'm working on a project in which I want to light up a led strip via RGB values from my computer, or a computer in a network.

So the led strip is connected to a Teensy (Arduino-like board, it can run arduino code), which is connected through usb to a computer. I'm generating OSC messages with Quartz Composer.
    For the OSC and 'Arduino' link, there's the library OSCuino , with which you have the ability to receive OSC messages with a Teensy over USB. However, it uses slipOSC, not really a clue what it is exactly, as it doesn't require an IP address or a port, but it just sends OSC over serial.

How can I generate these kinds of messages with OSCulator? I know QZ is bad to send/receive OSC messages, but can it work?

In the end I want one computer to run QZ and send OSC over a network, and then let the Teensy pick it up which is connected to another laptop.

Thanks!

Hi Jip,

SLIP is a protocol used to encapsulate packets so they are transmitted on a serial line.
    So, OSC packets are encoded using SLIP so they can go through USB to the Teensy.

OSCulator does not work with serial lines (and therefore does not use SLIP).
    You will need to find a OSC bridge that receives OSC and transmit it over a serial line.

Otherwise, if possible use an Ethernet shield like the Wiznet 5200 so the device in on the network and you won't need a bridge.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks for your answer!
      So now I know this is kind of a dead end… It's not really an option to add a LAN cable to the Teensy, maybe I'll look into wifi.
      But isn't the idea of OSCulator to be a bridge? Because you wanted to implement some kind of Arduino support, isn't this the way to go?
      Cheers,
      Jip

Comment

Because you wanted to implement some kind of Arduino support, isn't this the way to go?
        Good point, this is one possible step.
        What is your deadline?
        Please contact me by email (camille at osculator dot net) so we can further discuss this, I'm interested in that subject.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Working...
        X