Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is yaw usually less accurate than pitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is yaw usually less accurate than pitch?

I'm attempting to control a Pure Data patch with a wiimote. The pitch and roll values are acceptably consistent - varying between 62-64 (MIDI CC values) when stationary but the yaw value is is jumping from 75-90 when the accels smoothing is set to 30 or so in OSCulator (even when the smoothing is all the way at 100 I'm getting slight variations). Is this normal?

Frustratingly the patch I'm working with now really needs to be controlled by the yaw rather than any other value. I only have the one wiimote so I can't make any comparisons, if this is abnormal behaviour I'll try and pick up a new one tomorrow but I don't want to waste my cash if this is unavoidable.

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm attempting to control a Pure Data patch with a wiimote. The pitch and roll values are acceptably consistent - varying between 62-64 (MIDI CC values) when stationary but the yaw value is is jumping from 75-90 when the accels smoothing is set to 30 or so in OSCulator (even when the smoothing is all the way at 100 I'm getting slight variations). Is this normal?
    Yes, though yaw is not less accurate than pitch or roll.
    When the Wiimote is laying flat on a table, the yaw value can not be reliably calculated using accelerometers values only. Now try to hold the Wiimote pointing towards the ceiling, you will see that yaw is now stable.

Frustratingly the patch I'm working with now really needs to be controlled by the yaw rather than any other value. I only have the one wiimote so I can't make any comparisons, if this is abnormal behaviour I'll try and pick up a new one tomorrow but I don't want to waste my cash if this is unavoidable.
    I would recommend you try activating the MotionPlus sensors. In this mode /wii/1/motion/pry/yaw is much more steady because it is computed using the gyroscopes. Expect some drifing over time (yaw orientation can be resetted from time to time with the MotionPlus Reset event).

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
      Hi,

Yes, though yaw is not less accurate than pitch or roll.
      When the Wiimote is laying flat on a table, the yaw value can not be reliably calculated using accelerometers values only. Now try to hold the Wiimote pointing towards the ceiling, you will see that yaw is now stable.

I would recommend you try activating the MotionPlus sensors. In this mode /wii/1/motion/pry/yaw is much more steady because it is computed using the gyroscopes. Expect some drifing over time (yaw orientation can be resetted from time to time with the MotionPlus Reset event).

Best,
      Cam

Thanks, that really clears things up. OSCulator is great BTW, keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
      X