Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two osculator midi inputs? possible?

hi all,

I'm new to OSCulator but very excited. right now I've got two iPads with TouchOSC talking to OSCulator, talking to Garage Band, just fine *except* that they come in as the same instrument. I can't figure out how to make each iPad a different instrument.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

Joseph

Hello and welcome Joseph!

Usually with OSCulator, when you want to use two devices like a pair of iPads, you should open two OSCulator documents (windows), and configure each iPad to send OSC to its respective window.

Then to play another instrument in GarageBand, I would suggest you choose another MIDI channel. So you start with channel 1 for instrument 1, then channe 2 for the next instrument. This is how you play different instruments using MIDI.

I hope this answers your question.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

merci, camille!

GarageBand listens to all channels at a time, and does not differentiate between them. there is no way in GB to assign a different channel of the same MIDI interface to a different instrument. that's why i was hoping there is a way to get the second OSCulator instance to create a second MIDI interface.

C'est possible ?

Comment

Une suggestion:

OSCulator merges all MIDI input and output on the selected MIDI ports.
        You can select input and output MIDI ports in the Parameters window, in the I/O tab.

So, if I understand your question, the idea is to create an IAC bus in Audio/MIDI Setup and setup one of your OSCulator windows to use that IAC bus. Then in GarageBand use the IAC Bus for a specific instrument. But even with another MIDI interface, I am not sure if you will be able to control different instruments...

À bientôt,
        Cam

Comment

merci encore.

i was able to do this, but even with two MIDI inputs, Garage Band just doesn't allow me to select a different MIDI source for track 2. Looks like I will need to upgrade to Logic Pro or Ableton Live. Leaning towards Ableton, because of the live-playing ability, and the compose view seems like it would be good for, well, composing.

i'm sure there are plenty of web sites comparing the two, but if you (or anyone else) has a strong preference as to which one, I'm all ears.

thanks!

Joseph

Comment

Hi Joseph,

Over the years Ableton Live has become very flexible and powerful enough to cope with any style of music. It has a clean, well-thought interface, and decent editing tools. If you are looking for producing electronic music Live is very good because it has the concept of clips that Logic does not have. It is also possible to produce music "live", which is something Logic is not very good at.

Logic on another hand is a more mature solution, and has very powerful composition tools, wether it is for MIDI or Audio. I personnaly prefer the way plugins are handled in Logic rather than in Live. I know some albums have been produced with Live, but I am more confident with Logic for a complete music production experience.

Another software you might want to look at is Pro Tools, which has for me the best audio editing tools. Pro Tools was formerly isolated and running only or proprietary audio interface, but is now on par with Logic, Digital Performer and Live, in that you have a complete production suite with instruments, plugins, and music production tools.

I don't know enough about Digital Performer to give you an opinion, but I know it has a devoted community of users, and gives prety good results too.

Best,
            Cam

Comment

Working...
            X