Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion Plus Errors

Hi,

When I'm using my wiimote with the motion plus expansion it will report accurate data for a few minutes before starting to cycle rapidly from 0 to 1 over and over on the motion/velo and motion/angles parameters.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Is this a known issue? If so how best to counter it?

Thanks

Hello Skip,

What version of OSCulator are you using?
    You can copy/paste that from the About window.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

I'm on Version 2.13 (20130628) - up to date I think.

It's probably not an official motion plus add on, it's just one my brother had lying around, but he says he never had an issues when using it with the wii (though it's been a while)

Comment

Hi,

I asked because the latest version fixed a problem with diverging values when using the Wiimote with Motion Plus inside. I have not tested with the external Motion Plus device, but the fix was made it so the divergence should never happen again, so I am a bit surprised.

I will try with the external extension to see if I am able to reproduce the problem.

Have you made any specific dials on the smoothing parameters?
        It would be super useful if you could take a screenshot of a Quick Look graph showing how the values are at the moment of the problem. To open a Quick Look window, select a message in the main window, and press the space bar.

Best,
        Camille

Comment

804996141.jpg

As you can see there the velos stopped working entirely while the angles started oscillating between min and max without any movement.

Also, before it happened the velocity windows were showing values exceeding 1. and 0. despite the quick look windows stating that the rage is 1. - 0. is this normal?

This is on continuous mode with a smoothing value of 50. I think the same issue happens on other modes but I'm not sure, I'll try it out.

Comment

Yep - same thing is happening on cyclic mode too. Could this be caused by some kind of interference? Magnetic fields? Being too close to the mac? I have no idea how gyros work...

I think I can get hold of another wiimote and motion plus tonight so I'll try that out.
            Last edited by skiptracer; 08-31-2013, 07:24 PM.

Comment

It is normal that the velocity exceeds the range [0 1]. Velocity is the raw output of the gyroscopes. Have you tried to scale the values ?

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
                It is normal that the velocity exceeds the range [0 1]. Velocity is the raw output of the gyroscopes. Have you tried to scale the values ?
                I've been doing approximate scaling in max, which is fine for me right now as i tend to keep as much as possible visible in the max patch or i'll forget what i've done... This isn't likely to be causing these errors is it?

Comment

Right, I don't think so.

Is the problem happening after some time or right from the start?

Could you please attach your file here or just send it to me by email to camille at oaculator dot net?

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
                    Right, I don't think so.

Is the problem happening after some time or right from the start?

Could you please attach your file here or just send it to me by email to camille at oaculator dot net?
                    It usually works fine for a minute or two (maybe up to 5) but then it all goes wrong.

Here's the file - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46957457/jwii.oscd

Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

After 5 minutes of testing my friend's wiimote/ motion plus doesn't seem to be having the same issues so it seems likely that the problem was my hardware. Strange as it's all seemingly identical, something muse be faulty. Thanks for your time.

Comment

OK, that's good then, but if you have any trouble again, please let me know, I'm always curious to see if the driver can be improved.

Just a note about your file :
                        When you want to send a Wiimote message to Max, you don't need to assign a OSC Routing to everything, that is, the message itself and all of its arguments. Just choose to route only the message (one OSC Routing on the top-level element, for example /wii/1/accel/xyz), or one OSC Routing per argument (the numbered 0, 1, 2, 3 sub-items).

Best,
                        Cam

Comment

Working...
                        X