OSC to TCP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSC to TCP

im not able to send regular TCP IP messages, this is supose to translate from OSC to TCP right?
    if i have simple TCP commands such play , stop , how should I translate them?
    ive tried within Osculator gui as well with the Osc terminal founded somewhere in these forums.
    within Osculator gui, Ive routed to a target as osc.tcp://83.23.424.24:5250, arguments i left them empty (assuming all are valid)
    Ive tried manually creating a message with the event type OSC routing sending to the above tcp routing but it seems to not work, im sure i can send tcp ip comands to this server, but im probably missing something here,
    any help will be more than appreciated
    many thanks
    Last edited by maitilupas; 11-07-2013, 12:30 AM.

Hi Maitilupas,

OSCulator can send OSC over TCP, but there is no such thing as a "regular TCP IP message".
    Do you know what protocol is your TCP server running?

The IP address you are mentioning is not in a private address space, so I assume it is on the public internet. Therefore you will need to check if the server is behind a firewall, that (in which case the NAT translation should be effective), and if the server is actually listening on a socket bound to this address.

It looks like you tooks the right the steps to create a OSC routing over TCP.
    I'll be happy to have a look at your file if you send it to my email (camille at osculator dot net) or if you attach it to this thread.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,
      thank you very much for the quick reply.

Telnet is the protocol
      Ive port forwarding both routers, im able to send and receive the messages by telnet, its ready in this sense.
      I will email you the file,
      thank you again

Originally posted by camille View Post
      Hi Maitilupas,

OSCulator can send OSC over TCP, but there is no such thing as a "regular TCP IP message".
      Do you know what protocol is your TCP server running?

The IP address you are mentioning is not in a private address space, so I assume it is on the public internet. Therefore you will need to check if the server is behind a firewall, that (in which case the NAT translation should be effective), and if the server is actually listening on a socket bound to this address.

It looks like you tooks the right the steps to create a OSC routing over TCP.
      I'll be happy to have a look at your file if you send it to my email (camille at osculator dot net) or if you attach it to this thread.

Best,
      Cam

Comment

I am sorry but OSCulator is not able to communicate with a Telnet server.
        You might want to translate the OSC data to another form that is able to communicate with a telnet server. For example, you could use the oscdump utiliy (found in the liblo distribution, can be installed via the brew utility), and pipe its output to a telnet client (which in turn connects to the telnet server).

Comment

ah ok , great , gonna try it

Comment

Thank you I have received your file.
            So, as I told you you won't be able to do this directly with OSCulator, but it should be possible to write a command line script that will translate OSC to what you need. With oscdump you won't even need OSCulator. If you can't do this with a script, you might want to explore PureData which I believe has a generic TCP client (not sure if it can connect to a telnet server though).

Comment

I know in Puredata someone wrote something related to that but also not sure if will use telnet.. , ill have to dig a bit, but first I will try the oscdump than.
              your info was really clear!

Comment

Working...
              X