Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balance board values

hi,
    Thank you four such a great product, I am so pleased that I am happy to pay as it has been the only program from the multitudes I have tried that has worked with the Wii Balance Board.

I need to be able to read the raw values from the balance board and send them to Flash.

1. what message, event type and value do I need to use to get the actual values
    2. what do you recommend as the best way to get theses values to a flash application (e.g. osc, midi, socket?)

Thanks
    Greg G

Hi Greg,

There is no need to use an Event to receive data.
    The messages received from the Balance Board is the data.

The /wii/.../balance message has 7 arguments:

- first 4 arguments are the weight measured on each 4 sensors (top-left, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right).
    - 1 argument is the sum of all the previous weights.
    - last 2 arguments are the X and Y coordinates of the center of gravity.

The best way to communicate this info to another program is to create a very simple OSC Routing:

1. Open the Parameters window, and go to the OSC tab.
    2. Configure your OSC Target, this will be where the OSC messages must be sent (for example localhost:9000 if you have a OSC program listening on port 9000),
    3. Click on the + button to create a new OSC Routing. By default it routes messages to the default OSC Target, without modifying them. You should not have to change this, unless the OSC Target you configured in the previous step is not the Default Target.
    4. Close de Parameters window.

Now, in the main list, select the message /wii/.../balance and assign the OSC Routing you just created. There should be only one event assigned at the root of the message. A common mistake new users do is that they attach an event for each argument of the message, and that is wrong because you don't want to send arguments individually but route the messages as they arrive into OSCulator to another target.

About Flash:

I would recommend you use OSC. I don't have a lot of experience about Flash, but I believe Flash requires a bridge to receive OSC messages (check out http://benchun.net/projects/flosc/). I know users that have been happy with this solution.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

hi camille,
      Thank you for your help. Im getting messages from the wii balance board to OSCulator through flosc and into flash My problem now is that OSCulator is not giving the full feature of the balance board, only button/A and battery. I have tried entering wii/1/balance/0 but this is not getting anything. Also in the wiimote window the balance board is identified by its number (00-22-4c-52-52-80) not the name RVL-WBC-1 as it appears in the bluetooth console. I am on osx 10.9.1 with latest version of OSCulator.

I have seen other posts with this problem but no logical solution.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks
      Greg
      Last edited by gg23; 06-04-2014, 09:00 AM.

Comment

hi camille,
        Thank you for your help. Im getting messages from the wii balance board to OSCulator through flosc and into flash I am also getting all values from the balance board. Main issue previously (no sensors values despite connecting) seems to be with batteries. Even though the board reports that they are charged, they may not be enough which stops the board from sending sensor values. Thanks for a great product and will send my $19 now that I am happy with its performance.

Thanks
        Greg

Comment

Working...
        X