MIDI fighter 3d and Kyma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI fighter 3d and Kyma

I am trying to figure out the way to use Midi fighter 3d to control parameters ( faders and toggle switches specifically) in my Kyma sounds. I have not used osculatory before. I just downloaded the demo and trying to figure out my way around it. Mainly my goal is to send midi messages through FireWire cable that connects Pacarana to my MacBook ( Pacarana will not be connected to a network so I guess that will make using osc protocol not possible). On the " parameters " menu I choose the midi fighter as an active midi input, and midi input mode is "raw". I see that midi messages are being received since " /midi/raw/osc-in " appears. After this point I'm a bit lost. How can I make sure that Kyma will be seeing these signals? Kyma VCS has the learn function but it only works for osc messages I think. Now I'm pretty sure I'm missing an important step here. Or not understanding the process properly. I'd really appreciate a feedback. What I'm trying to do is fairly simple but I'm a bit stuck. I'd be more than happy to pay the registration fee but I need to get this working first. Thanks in advance.

Hi Ilker,

To control Kyma from the Firewire interface, you can use Kyma CC events which are similar to MIDI CC events.

You should not set the MIDI input mode to "raw" because it is only useful in the situation when you want to send the raw MIDI in OSC messages, typically when you use OSC to communicate with the Pacarana. So you should leave this setting to "interpreted".

With this setting left to the default value, and with the proper MIDI input selected (what you did was correct), turning knobs on the MIDI Fighter interface will register MIDI messages in OSCulator. At this point, you can assign to each of these messages a Kyma CC event.

Kyma CC events can be chosen from their CC number (from 0 to 127) or their Global Map name. The Global Map is a Kyma file that maps the CC numbers to VCS control names (aka Hot Variables). Therefore you can either choose cc47 or !Gate (as it is specified in the default global map). If you have a custom global map and you would like the names to be properly displayed in OSCulator, you can choose which global map to use in OSCulator's preferences. You should be fine with the default settings as they should reflect the original global map that comes with Kyma.

There is no need to specify a scaling factor or offset because received MIDI control changes are automatically scaled to what's appropriate for Kyma.

Please let me know if you need more details.

Best,
    Camille

Comment

Thanks Camille. Things are starting to clear up. I changed the midi input mode to " interpreted " and Kyma cc events started showing up. And changing their value is no problem ("default preset"). Now getting them seen by Kyma is another matter. In Kyma, on the configuration page, when I picked "show midi messages" I see that nothing is showing up. Played with VCS layouts program changes channel ,midi configuration - default input channel and nothing is doing. Midi fighter can send midi messages on channels 3,4,5 but if understand correctly default chanel to receive messages for Kyma is 1. And even when I change it nothing is happening. On the DSP status window track 16 interface is still showing as midi input which confuses me, only other choice there is "silent device". Any thoughts? I really need some help here I'm afraid. Again, thank you in advance.

Comment

Hi Ilker,

Kyma CC, and MIDI CC are two different things. The "Show MIDI Messages" panel of Kyma pertains to MIDI only (e.g. when received from a USB class-compliant MIDI adapter). So you will not be able to "see" Kyma CC and Kyma Notes sent of the Firewire link this way. It's the same for the DSP window, it only displays MIDI (from the adapter), not Firewire (because it's always there).

You normally choose a Kyma CC depending on what control is displayed in your VCS, or more broadly, which Hot Variable is in your script. So for instance if you have a !Bypass control, you simply choose the corresponding one in OSCulator (the name is displayed in the list). If you prefer to choose a Kyma CC by number, you have to name your Hot Variable with the corresponding number, for example !cc12.

Cam

Comment

O.k. Thanks Camille. It makes sense. I'll try that approach.

Comment

Working...
          X