Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live, Quartz Composer, TouchOSC - routing query

Hi there

I’m not sure if OSCulator is the answer to my problem - I’ve looked on the forums and through the manual, but everyone seems to have slightly different aims and I’m lost!

I’m using Synapse to send OSC data to Live from a Kinect, and using TouchOSC + LiveControl on an iPad as a control surface. I’m now trying to get the outgoing OSC data from Live into Quartz Composer. I can get messages in to QC on port 5000, but not at the same time as it’s sending to TouchOSC on the iPad.

To be clear - I’m not using QC to send to Live, I just want to get OSC message from Live to QC.

I thought there may be a way of using OSCulator to intercept messages from Live, and send them to both QC and TouchOSC.

Maybe I’m missing something simple, and overcomplicating things.

If I’m in the wrong place, please let me know. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time!

Thanks!

Hi Rex,

I understand that the source of OSC messages from Live is from the LiveControl plugin.

When I read your message, my first reaction is that it sounds like your setup is too complex.

LiveControl is a control surface protocol, it is not very difficult to understand per se, but find it difficult to interpret and use with simple software like Quartz Composer (because of its limited OSC message matching capabilities). Therefore I would advise to look for a set of well defined MIDI messages sent from Live to QC.

Another option if you really want to feed QC with LiveControl messages is to use the oscbroadcaster. It is a small command line utility that you will find on this forum:
    The oscbroadcast tool is a command line program that allows to duplicate an input OSC stream of messages to two or more computers. OSculator has already the ability to duplicate messages and route them to several targets, but this solution is more powerful in the sense it requires less configuration in Osculator, and keep the

The idea would be to set oscbroadcaster as the target of LiveControl, and let it broadcast messages to TouchOSC and QC. It should not be difficult to set-up, but please let me know if you have any trouble doing so.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Hi Cam

Thanks so much for your reply. In the meantime, I looked at your command line utility and got confused, and I also came to the same conclusion - to use MIDI. Live has a lot of options for configuring MIDI and it's much easier to see what's going on!

Now I'm busy trying to figure out how to use the midi receiver patch in QC so that I don't have to map every note explicitly, but that's another story.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond,
      Toni

Comment

Working...
      X