No announcement yet.

How many presets can OSCulator handle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many presets can OSCulator handle?

Are there limits to how many presets OSCulator can 'elegantly' cope with?

Or does it depend on how much and what kind of info is stored in each preset?

Would 50 presets containing about 300 MIDI messages be a problem?*

Also, for efficiency/memory/CPU saving issues etc., what is best practice?

Also, do you recommend App Nap On or Off?

*Edit : this should read '50 presets, each containing about 300 MIDI messages'
    Last edited by clik; 01-31-2015, 12:33 AM.

Hi click,

OSCulator should not be affected by App Nap.
    If it does, please tell me I am interested about that; in any case it should be recommened to leave App Nap turned off.

As for efficiency, there should be no problem, OSCulator is able to handle a lot of messages. Changing from one preset to another should be most intensive operation, because every message is registered again, but this is extremely quick as it involves no IO.

Do you have any specific requirement in terms of performance or did you observed a problem related to performance?

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Camille
      Originally posted by camille View Post
      Changing from one preset to another should be most intensive operation, because every message is registered again, but this is extremely quick as it involves no IO.
      I should have mentioned that I'm changing between presets which all have the 'Send values when this preset is restored' option selected, so that's more data for OSCulator to process.
      But in the end, I mightn't need OSCulator to send as many messages at once as I thought - I might be able to send fewer messages, using Meta messages - Enable, or Change Channel perhaps? I won't know until I've experimented with other functions OSCulator I haven't tried yet.

Just realised I can assign a pad my Launchpad to trigger OSCulator's 'New Preset' Key Combo! That's cool.

I want to change presets from the Launchpad, but for some reason, OSCulator is switching presets, not when I press the pad, but when I release it, so on the 'Off'? I obviously need to adjust something somewhere - a velocity on scalings page maybe?

Also noticed I can't use the Turbo Assign / option key trick with presets - is that for technical reasons, or could that be part of a future update maybe?
      Also, is there no way to mass assign values on the Scalings Page?

Originally posted by camille View Post
      did you observed a problem related to performance?
      Actually, I'm pretty happy with the performance - Activity Monitor shows OSCulator hitting c. 30% max, only if I'm changing these presets quickly.
      Otherwise, when it's streaming OSC messages I/O, taking incoming OSC and outputting MIDI etc. - maybe between 5 and 10%CPU.

• For full overview and quicker access to Presets, I was thinking something like the Notepad, or a side panel like the Wiimote drawer could be useful: reorder presets by drag and drop, rename etc.?
      • Or something like the Quick Look window to show the name / number of the currently selected Preset perhaps? Useful when OSCulator documents are minimised/hidden

This will give you an idea of what I am trying to do (presets being triggered from Launchpad via Automap):

Last edited by clik; 02-01-2015, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X