Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinect and Synapse, MIDI Notes

Hi,

I would like you to explain to me, like a 5 year old, why I can't use Synapse to play MIDI Notes when I go through OSCulator. I am using port 12345 (123457 works too), which works fine, data is being received by OSCulator. The only events I can control are OSC Routing, Variables and Console log. All I want to do is use a skeleton to play MIDI notes. I am working on a music project for people with disabilities and have a workshop on Saturday, so a speedy response would be appreciated.

Ben

Hello Ben,

What message is Synapse sending to OSCulator?

Looking at the reference OSC dictionary (http://synapsekinect.tumblr.com/post...7/maxmspjitter), I can see that the "hit event" message has a string parameter. This kind of parameter cannot be bound to a MIDI Note directly.

Instead you can tell OSCulator to reveal the string labels of this message and attach for each "hit event" a specific MIDI Note.

To do this, select the /<joint> message (where <joint> is the name of the joint that you are interested in), and choose Edit -> Demux (or press Control-D). Then move in front of the Kinect so the messages are sent again to OSCulator. You will see that each possible value is listed under the /<joint> message (i.e. you can now see the labels up, down, left, right, forward, back which where previously hidden).

From there, you can choose an event like MIDI Note.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Working...
    X