Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TouchOSC, OSCulator & Yamaha 01V96

Hi Cam,

I have been evaluating OSCulator now that Stereoscope has been shut down. Stereoscope had a great integration with Yamaha desks and I'm hoping to find the same functionality with OSCulator. There are two things that I'm struggling to find an answer to:

1. Stereoscope had the ability to 'recall' the current layout of the desk and update the TouchOSC states with one button. They used a /system/resync command which 'pulled' the state of the faders and mutes into TouchOSC. I can't seem to find any way to figuring this out with OSCulator. I have read in the forum about 'scene changes' and the fact that the desk should output the cc data - but I don't think it does. In any case, Stereoscope enabled you to sync the settings of the desk without touching the desk itself. This was useful especially if you ran TouchOSC after you set the desk up.
    2. I'm not sure how best to control the Aux faders with OSCulator. Stereoscope used its own command: /input/1/toAux/2/level for example which in this example controls fader 1 levels for Aux 2. It also had a very neat way of switching between Aux channels with one set of faders using /stereoscope/system/state/selectedAux/changeTo/1 (1 being the Aux channel you required). The faders would respond to reflect the state on the desk.

With OSCulator it seems I would need to create my own MIDI templates for the sysex that the aux channels transmit - however I really haven't a clue what to tell it to do with the bytes. I've created the template OK from the shortcut arrow in the i/o window. The sysex is 14 bytes. Byte 9 is the channel i think and 11 and 12 are the level information. I have tried creating substitute OSC arguments but I get random results (I don't really know what I am doing here!)

If I can't translate the syses then my fallback would be to map controllers in the desk itself to unused slots - which would work fine if I had to.

The deal breaker is the syncing of faders between the desk and TouchOSC. All the guys in the band are used to seeing the starting position of the faders in TouchOSC before they tweek their monitor mix - if they start with a flat fader view then it is unusable.

It's a great piece of software and I hope you can help answer my questions.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Hello Marcus,

First I wanted to warn you that OSCulator was not particularly suited to emulating control surfaces. It is much more at ease in situations where you need to fix ad-hoc problems.

Nevertheless, now that OSCulator supports Snapshots and rich MIDI messages, there might be a possibility to build something that is useful, I don't think it will equate Stereoscope though.

Please feel free to come back to me if you have more questions. I know OSCulator 3 is not as documented as OSCulator 2 was, but it will get better with time, and I am happy to answer.

1. Stereoscope had the ability to 'recall' the current layout of the desk and update the TouchOSC states with one button.
    OSCulator has the ability to store the last received values of messages in what is called a "Snapshot". You can recall a Snapshot with an OSC message. When you recall a snapshot, last saved values are sent to every messages in the current Mapping (usually the Default Mapping). This if you have MIDI messages to the console, and OSC messages to TouchOSC, everyone will reset to the state stored in OSCulator.

This might not be exactly what you need, since in most cases the console is considered as the "master" and you want TouchOSC as the "slave". If we can find a MIDI message (even SysEx) that we would send to the console that forces it to output its state with MIDI message, then we might be able to achieve the desired behavior.

I'm not sure how best to control the Aux faders with OSCulator.
    I think I recall Aux faders are controlled with NRPN MIDI messages. This should be checked in a Yamaha console handbook.

Stereoscope used its own command: /input/1/toAux/2/level for example which in this example controls fader 1 levels for Aux 2. It also had a very neat way of switching between Aux channels with one set of faders using /stereoscope/system/state/selectedAux/changeTo/1 (1 being the Aux channel you required). The faders would respond to reflect the state on the desk.
    This sound very difficult to implement with OSCulator.
    This is the kind of control surface like feature I was referring to.

With OSCulator it seems I would need to create my own MIDI templates for the sysex that the aux channels transmit - however I really haven't a clue what to tell it to do with the bytes. I've created the template OK from the shortcut arrow in the i/o window. The sysex is 14 bytes. Byte 9 is the channel i think and 11 and 12 are the level information. I have tried creating substitute OSC arguments but I get random results (I don't really know what I am doing here!)

This is the right way to go, but you have to get more information about these messages. Maybe you don't need to go into the trouble of creating a MIDI Template if the message is just a Control Change. Also, capturing a message is not enough as you found out, you have to tell OSCulator where are the area to "fill" with a OSC number value.

I looked at the documentation for the Yamaha DM2000, and I believe the 03D is similar. You can choose to assign Aux-Sends to Control Changes or NRPN. This is done in the MIDI Configuration panel of the console. If it is just vanilla Control Changed, you can just receive the message in OSCulator and map it to a OSC message to TouchOSC. If it is a NRPN message, then you have to lookup the CC number in the doc, and create a template for the NRPN message. This is not too complex, and I can help you do that once I know more about your console.

The deal breaker is the syncing of faders between the desk and TouchOSC. All the guys in the band are used to seeing the starting position of the faders in TouchOSC before they tweek their monitor mix - if they start with a flat fader view then it is unusable.
    I totally agree with you, let's save their ears!
    Let me know what console model you use, I'll try to find the famous MIDI message we're after.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Working...
    X