Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Ableton

Hi Forum, Camille,

I bought Osculator and love the interface and simple design. I'm sending OSC from an external device, translating into to MIDI, and then having Ableton read the MIDI.

I've been having trouble with inconsistent reading by Ableton. It will sometimes see the MIDI CC messages from Osculator, but often not at all.

Andy thoughts on why this may be?

Thanks!

Hi Chase,

It's difficult to tell without knowing a bit more about your setup.

I assume you are using OSCulator 3.
    Have you had a look at the message monitor to see if what is going through OSCulator is consistent?
    The monitor can be displayed by clicking the disclosure arrow on the bottom right corner of the main window.

You can also attach your file in this thread, or send me your file to camille at osculator dot net so.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks Cam!

Yes I've been using the monitor and the signals coming in to OSCulator are consistent. It's just Ableton reading the MIDI in that is inconsistent. And yes, OSCulator 3.0.

Let me know what I can send you that may be helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

Hey Cam,

It's looking more and more that my problem is actually with Ableton. Seems it's not registering MIDI properly in general.

Another issue I'm having though is that from the device I'm sending OSC from, OSCulator is receiving two messages for every single event I trigger. Oddly, this is only on the version running on my desktop. On my laptop, the same device triggering events at the same time, is correctly only sending one message at a time.

Thoughts on that?

In general, loving OSCulator so far!

Comment

Fixed it! Problem was that my computer was plugged in directly to my router as well as on my Wifi. Apparently that doubles the messages.

Comment

That's a great finding!
            I'm glad you solved these issues, don't hesitate to come back when you have new questions.

Comment

Hi!

So follow up, Ableton is seeing the Midi CC messages from OSCulator in order to map them to a clip, but when I turn off the midi mapping and trigger the same message, nothing happens. Can't for the life of me figure out why, been working on this for the last 24 hrs. Help!

Perhaps related, tried as a workaround send keyboard commands to Ableton instead via Osculator key combo feature. I targeted Live but Live doesn't receive the keystrokes at all (when I target notepad, that receives them just fine).

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Chase,

It would really help to see your file.
                You can send it by e-mail to me if your like (my address is in an earlier post).

Best,
                Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
                  Hi Chase,

It would really help to see your file.
                  You can send it by e-mail to me if your like (my address is in an earlier post).

Best,
                  Cam
                  Hey Cam, sent you an email with some photos and the file.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X