Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii Balance Board Question

Hi,

I've been trying to use the Wii board with OSCulator for some time now. It's connected and it works, my question is regarding the sensitivity.

I want to use the board to simulate a kick drum pedal for midi drums, but the sensitivity in OSCulator is too low with the board, IE I have to step on the board with my full weight before it registers a midi note.

It would be helpful if one could produce a full note by just tapping the board with the foot, is this possible in OSCulator ?

Thanks

Hi Bri,

To be able to do that I think the solution would be to be able to change the scaling of the inputs and outputs in order to get the sensitivity you wish. The Wii Board is sensitive enough in theory to detect a foot tapping on it.

If all goes well, this will be a feature I will implement in the next version.

In the meantime, there is perhaps a solution you could try.

There is a software called MidiPipe which lets you modify and create MIDI messages. I think you can even create MIDI notes from control changes.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I will try the MidiPipe program, although at the moment it doesn't feel very intuitive.

Since I'm here I'll ask for one more thing: still in the context of replicating drums, I was trying to use the wiimote to play two specific different notes: say that I register the z accelerator of the Wiimote as a snare, whatever the note is, I would like to be able to change the note played by pressing for instance the A button while using the Wiimote acceleration, so instead of the snare I can for instance have a ride cymbal or something.

At the moment it is only possible to affect the general pitch of the note with a modifier, but I would like to have a specific modifier to play only a specific note, if that makes sense.

Would this be possible to implement? I'm sure it can be done with some tinkering of with MidiPipe, but it doesn't look as easy as OSCulator if you kn ow what I mean. Thanks

Comment

ok I've been playing with MidiPipe a bit and while I can see it's a great program I still can't quite get it to do what I want.

By the way if you have a look at this program that came out a couple of days ago you will see pretty much what I mean with drums from the videos

http://hezhao.net/project/wii-drum-high.html

this software is windows only currently and I don't think it lets you send midi signals anyway, I'm on a mac. But it would be great if I could configure OSCulator to do that

Comment

Hey Bri,

Assigning a specific velocity to a specific note trigger is definitively a pending feature. I have thought of different ways to do it, but still did not made up my mind.

I will do something about that for the next release (hoping I am satisfied with the solution).

Thanks for sending the video, I will take a look at this!

Cam

Comment

Hi, just thinking about purchasing a wii balance board as foot switch - Camille, did it make it into the current version? Thanks!

Comment

Hi Fritz,

The Balance Board has been supported for a little while now, and I think it is working well ; at least, I have not received reports from users, so I guess it is alright. As always, my best advice is that you make sure with your dealer that you can return the item in case it doesn't make it for you.

If you want to use the Balance Board as a footswitch, assuming you will be standing over the board, I would recommend you adjust the sensitivity of the pads to match the trigger threshold. To do that, select a balance board pad message, and hit the space bar, it will display the Quick Look window. With this you will be able to see what actually comes out of the sensor. Then, go in the Scalings page (View menu), and change the Input Max to a lower or higher value until you see that the sensor value crosses 0.5 at the desired pressure.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Great! I'll report.

Comment

I've been thinking about adding a balance board to my set up - does it output continuous controllers or just on/off.

thanks

Comment

The balance board outputs continuous values, and the sensors are very precise.

Comment

I have it, and it is indeed very precise. Great controller! It's fun to open quick look windows for all the parameters and watch them interact!

When I map it to push buttons I have to press really hard to make it switch -- any idea how to calibrate the board's sensitivity / how to make OSCulator scale values up to make it switch at a lower pressure? I am not standing upon it but put my feet on it while sitting behind my cello, which is disturbed with gross motion feet action.

Comment

Sure Fritz, here is a procedure I have described earlier in this thread.

Comment

Yikes, stupid me ;-)

Got that program, it is very interesting, but I can't get into it before weekend. This will take some time :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X