Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIR Sensor with Osculator

Hi there,

I was wondering. The wii remote is pretty cool with detecting motion via n infrared light source. However if the IR source is not pointed DIRECTLY at the wii remote then nothing.

Would it be possible to use a PIR sensor to send OSC messages to osculator to control ableton live....

This way the sensor detects motion without someone having to hold an infrared light source in their hand. There is more freedom of movement...or is this tooooo much! :-)

Hey Rox,

Do you have an example of a PIR device that would connect to a Macintosh?

Maybe an Arduino board could make the trick?

Cam

Comment

Hey Cam,

Yes definitely either a PIR sensor or an Ultrasonic sensor used with arduino.

PIR:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ObjectDetection/tabid/176/CategoryID/51/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/83/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Ultrasonic:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ObjectDetection/tabid/176/CategoryID/51/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/92/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Would I be able to use this technology to send osc messages to osculator then to ableton? or is this a lost cause?

Rox

Comment

I am not an expert on Arduino boards, but I think it can surely send OSC messages to the host computer.

A super quick search on Google has gave me that result: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206523409/4

the ultrasonic sensor looks very cool …

Comment

Oh Yes! Thanks a bunches!!! :-)

I also found this:

http://protolab.pbwiki.com/Arduino_Osc

One more thing...Once I start sending OSC messages...how does Osculator recognize these messages? Or rather, how does it pick up on the messages that are being sent?

I know when working with the wii remote, I would go under system preferences, connect my wii to the computer. Then, hit buttons 1 & 2 to connect to Osculator....how would I connect the OSC messages sent by my arduino to Osculator?

Comment

Hehe, when you connect the Wii, osculator is actually sending osc messages to itself. So … When the light on the bottom of the window is blue, and that you have set oscultr to an inbound port, say 8000, that means that oscltr is really listening to OSC on port 8000.

This is why it can process data from iPhone/iPod, Lemur, TUIO, Max/MSP or anything that sends OSC.

Just remember that the convention in osculator is to send float numbers ranging from 0.0 to 1.0. This is only a convention, tho, you can always do what you want!

Comment

Ok Camille I think we're on a roll!!! :-)

So basically if I can get my sensor/arduino setup to send osc messages to port 8000 (port where Osculator currently reads from) or from another assigned port i choose..then we have magic????

You're also saying the osc messages sent by osculator which it also listens to over port 8000 are a range of float numbers 0.0 to 1.0.....but then again it could be whatever I want...meaning integers as well such as 3, 4, 6, etc...

Comment

You're also saying the osc messages sent by osculator which it also listens to over port 8000 are a range of float numbers 0.0 to 1.0.....but then again it could be whatever I want...meaning integers as well such as 3, 4, 6, etc...

exactly, it can be whatever you want.

just tell me when you have an arduino board sending osc, I would be very interested to have some news about how it goes. I'll probably buy one myself, it looks like fun.

Comment

Working...
                X