Controlling pitch with wii joystick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling pitch with wii joystick

How can I do this? I'm new to MIDI so I'm not too familiar with all the lingo. But I want to have the joystick on the classic controller determine the pitch of a note in Logic/MainStage. I think that its just that I don't know how to set it up properly.

Also Osculator is not recognizing the joystick inputs from the nunchuck. It shows them as a possible input on the screen but doesn't actually register input.

I also saw that someone had posted some time ago that their wii drums weren't being recognized as inputs by the program but I've had no problems with that at all. I wonder this was something fixed by a newer version of osculator.

ps is there a search for this forum?

Thanks a lot!

Mac OS 10.5.6 Osculator 2.8.1

Hi Brett,

I would like to fully answer your question, but I am on tour in Germany right now, and I can't reproduce/test the problems you are having with the nunchuck and classic controller. I will fully address your issue on monday, when I come back home.

From what I have tested so far, the joysticks on both devices are working correctly.

And regarding the forum it seems that a recent update to the website removed the search form, I will make sure it is back on my return.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hey Brett,

From the tests I've just done, the joysticks are working fine for the Nunchuck and Classic Controller.

If you want to control the pitch of the MIDI Note with a joystick, you have to assign a joystick's axis the event "Note Params" then choose in the value Pitch. What happens is when you move the axis, it will store its value as the pitch information.

Next, you need a trigger to your note, that is, a button or information that tells the midi note is about to be turned on and off. For this, choose for example a button of the Wiimote and assign the "MIDI Not w/ Params" event, in the Value column, choose the message that holds the Note Param (/wii/1/nunchuck/joy).

There is such an example in the Sample Patches in the Wiimote/MIDI Notes folder. It uses the orientation of the Nunchuck to produce a pitch, but you can easily change it to the joystick by following the former instructions.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Working...
      X