Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiiMote Drums in Logic

Hello,

I have very little knowledge of MIDI mapping, so this question might seem really silly.

I have identified in osculator which Wiimote control i want to trigger my drum sounds as /wii/1/accel/pry 3:accel and have set the accels smoothing bar so that the motion is good for imitating drum hits.

I want the buttons on the wiimote (A, B, 1, 2, +, -) to trigger different drum sounds (or notes on a piano synth).

By setting the wii/1/button/A control event type to Note Params and the value to velocity, I can sound a note by holding A and making a motion like hitting a drum. However, the pitch of the note played is set to the Lower Pitch number in the parameteres window.

The Lower pitch in the parameters window can be changed and different drum sounds achieved, but this note value is then applied to all of the other buttons (B, 1, 2 etc).

I know that setting the different button controls as different MIDI notes can achieve fixed pitch MIDI notes and I do want fixed pitch MIDI notes from each button, but want them to be triggered by the accel control.

Sorry for asking what is probably a very basic question, I hope someone can help.

Chris

Hello Chris,

This is not a basic question, but you should be able to solve this problem rather simply.
    Here is how :

The problem : You want to trigger different MIDI Notes from acceleration, based on the fact a specific button is pushed.
    1. First, uncheck the checkbox at the far left of the '3: accel' argument. This will prevent to send any note when no button is pushed (you will understand that later, read on).
    2. Now, duplicate the accel argument for as many different buttons you want to use. Select "3: accel", and press Command-D as many times as needed. In my example, I duplicate accel twice, yielding two new accel events (I will leave the first one unused).
    3. Press buttons A and B in order to show them in the list.
    4. Assign to button A the event of type "Latched Enable", and as a value choose "/wii/1/accel/pry [3: accel -> 0]". When you press button A, the first accel argument is temporarily enabled.
    5. Do the same with button B, but now choose "/wii/1/accel/pry [3: accel -> 1]". This will temporarily activate the second accel.
    6. Finally, for each accel, assign a fixed MIDI Note. In my example, I have chosen MIDI note C4, and D4

In conclusion : when you press either button A or B, this activates the respective accel argument, and trigger the event when enough acceleration is given.
    You can download a sample file here.

Best Regards,
    Camille
    Last edited by camille; 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Working...
    X