Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logic Pro 8 / TouchOSC XY Pad problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic Pro 8 / TouchOSC XY Pad problems...

Hello everyone. I've been messing around with TouchOSC and Osculator to control parameters of my instruments in Logic Pro 8.0.2.

So far, using automation quick access, it has been working fine. It's also been great manually assigning MIDI CC messages to knobs.

But I am having trouble using the XY pads (mix 2 layout) in Logic and I don't know where else to turn (since I have no found anything in my search).

For example, I am trying to control the ES2 XY Modpad, but everytime I go into learn mode it will detect either X or Y. I have tried isolating the X and the Y in OSCulator by unchecking the checkmarks so I can have a clear defined X and Y. Yet I cannot get the operate simultaneously. I can easily map the X to one knob and the Y to another, but when it comes to actually mapping the XY pad to some sort of XY graph in a virtual instrument, it becomes difficult.

Any help would be appreciated, and I would love to even be forwarded to any other forums that may have more information about geeky stuff like OSC and Max/Msp and etc since Im pretty new to this stuff. Thanks!!!

Hello,

I can't help you much right now since I don't have access to my logic computer. I'll be able to answer next week or, hopefully someone will help you.

Best Regrds,

Camille

Comment

Thanks I appreciate it! I'll look forward to hearing something

Comment

having trouble using the XY pads

HI,

I'm having the same problem. Does anyone have a solution ? Thanks!

Originally posted by deadxatthexscene View Post
        Hello everyone. I've been messing around with TouchOSC and Osculator to control parameters of my instruments in Logic Pro 8.0.2.

So far, using automation quick access, it has been working fine. It's also been great manually assigning MIDI CC messages to knobs.

But I am having trouble using the XY pads (mix 2 layout) in Logic and I don't know where else to turn (since I have no found anything in my search).

For example, I am trying to control the ES2 XY Modpad, but everytime I go into learn mode it will detect either X or Y. I have tried isolating the X and the Y in OSCulator by unchecking the checkmarks so I can have a clear defined X and Y. Yet I cannot get the operate simultaneously. I can easily map the X to one knob and the Y to another, but when it comes to actually mapping the XY pad to some sort of XY graph in a virtual instrument, it becomes difficult.

Any help would be appreciated, and I would love to even be forwarded to any other forums that may have more information about geeky stuff like OSC and Max/Msp and etc since Im pretty new to this stuff. Thanks!!!

Comment

Hi iBeatz!

Would you mind elaborate a bit?

For example :
          Are you in the same situation as the original poster?
          What instrument are you using in Logic?

I would love to help, but in order to give you an answer I need something to try / reproduce.

Best,
          Cam

Comment

Hi Cam and Happy Holidays!

Here's the steps I've taken.

• I've created a custom Logic Template with TouchOSC
            • On page tab #5 I have four X Y controllers
            • In Osculator, I've only assigned one X Y controller to test. I have "0" assigned to MIDI CC#118 and "1" assigned to #119
            • all three radio buttons are clicked in Osculator, 5/xy/1 and #0 and #1
            • In Logic (running v 9.1.6) I'm testing using Zebra2 (u-he) and NI Absynth 5

When I try to Map/midilearn both X and Y axis, Zebra and Absynth seem to only respond to either axis one at a time.
            I cant seem to map both.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

The problem with the XY control is that when you configure it with two MIDI CC, it sends two events, making it difficult to map in another software (like Logic or Live) because only the last MIDI CC is assigned.

If you want to be able to use both, you have to first assign the first axis (X) and then the second (Y). The best way to do that is to select the first message (/5/xy [0]) and choose Routing->Solo (or Command-R), then map this MIDI CC in Logic. Then repeat for the second axis: press Command-R to deactivate Solo mode, select the second message (/5/xy [1]) and press Command-R again to solo it, and map this again in Logic.

Let me know if that helped!

Comment

Hi Camille,

Thank you very much for such a quick reply. Your configuration below worked out great!!

Originally posted by camille View Post
                The problem with the XY control is that when you configure it with two MIDI CC, it sends two events, making it difficult to map in another software (like Logic or Live) because only the last MIDI CC is assigned.

If you want to be able to use both, you have to first assign the first axis (X) and then the second (Y). The best way to do that is to select the first message (/5/xy [0]) and choose Routing->Solo (or Command-R), then map this MIDI CC in Logic. Then repeat for the second axis: press Command-R to deactivate Solo mode, select the second message (/5/xy [1]) and press Command-R again to solo it, and map this again in Logic.

Let me know if that helped!

Comment

Working...
                X