PDA

View Full Version : Wii Motion Plus

larzie
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I bought the Osculator license a week ago for a project and it has been working like a charm so far.

I am considering getting a Wii Motion Plus and was wondering whether Osculator supports this? Or if there is plans to support it in the near future?

/lars

camille
07-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Lars,

i have received a Wii Motion Plus not so long ago. I am working on supporting this item, and think I will be able to have something working around september.

I would be interested to know what features you would expect from this device.

Best,

Cam

larzie
07-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi Cam,

That sounds great!

The main thing for us is to be able to measure angular rotation more precisely and if possible also angular velocity. Also, looking at videos on Youtube it looks like you are also able to get the position in space (but that is probably using the IR). To be honest I don't know that much about Gyroscopes, but it looks like it can make Wiimote a lot more precise.

I have just ordered one as well - and I think we will try and hook it up to an Arduino board following this approach

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245723011

Just to get started experimenting with it :)

Please let me know how you get on - and if you have a test build at some point I will be more than happy to test it.

cheers,

Lars

camille
07-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Alright Lars !

I send you an early build as soon as I have better angular measurements. This is the first step. Absolute positionning requires more work and willl be done afterwards.

larzie
07-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Great!

sveinb
07-20-2009, 08:05 AM
I also got a motion plus just for the improved angular measurements, so I suspect there are more of us - maybe you could post the early build on the website to download?

Svein

camille
07-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Hello Svein,

I'd prefer to follow the rule to make releases public only when I consider then finished (in short, "not beta").

However I do accept any requests for beta testing in exchange of a useful feedback on the tested feature.

I will add your email to the list :-)

Best,

Cam

sveinb
07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
OK, thanks!

Svein

cstewart
07-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I too am hoping that OSCulator will support the Wii Motion Plus. I'm not a musician, I'm a filmmaker and 3d CGI artist. It's my hope that OSCulator could eventually drive the creative applications I use, like Maya (for animation) and Final Cut Pro (for editing).

I'll keep my eyes on the forum for updates on your progress, Camille.

Also, I pick up my copy of "Wii Resort" this Sunday, so I'll get to test the Motion Plus in action. Then, I'll see if I have any suggestions for you.

Oh, and thanks for creating such a cool piece of software!

-curt

camille
07-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks Curt!

This is very exciting to see such interest in the Motion Plus support.

I would be curious to know what kind of "inputs" would be available in Maya. For example, does it support HID joysticks? Do you know a way to interact with this software? I will take a look at it when the work on the Motion Plus is done.

FYI, I am making progresses as it is possible to detect and correctly initialize the extension. I am able to read some raw values … stay tuned!

cstewart
07-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I would be curious to know what kind of "inputs" would be available in Maya.

Well, I can think of two ways. The first way would be by standard mouse (would that be considered HID?) inputs. A note here is that Maya and other 3D apps rely quite a bit on mouse button holds, drags and middle/right button clicks. I have played around with OSCulator and Maya in the past, and if I recall correctly, OSCulator reports a wiimote button *press* but not a button *hold*. So dragging objects around in Maya now is difficult.

Another method that I have not tried but is possible - using the Maya SDK to write a driver that reports the OSculator/wiimote input as motion capture. This would allow the user to directly map motion data onto character skeletons, in realtime, for example. But that seems like it would be quite involved. :)

-curt

cstewart
07-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Oh, excuse me. I just checked OSCulator with Maya, and I see that the wiimote buttons do indeed *hold* and there are left, middle and right clicks. I haven't used the software for about a year, my bad.

-curt

sethius
07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Hey Cam, I' also extremely interested in testing wii motion plus support for osculator. I'm currently using wii motes to control synths and other aspects of ableton live and I plan to start performing soon, but it would be nice if the wii mote could be more responsive/reliable. After playing wii sports resort I now see that this is easily possible..!! :-)

Seth.

camille
08-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Seth,

It's nice to read that there is such great interest in that device!

As I said in a previous post, I am able to read the data from the Motion Plus extension. These are angular velocities for each axes of the remote. While this is useful information, it doesn't make easy to transform it into something that makes sense.

I'd like to mention it will take me some time to make this data really useful.

Please everyone be patient!

Best Regards,

Cam

jwilcott
08-03-2009, 01:11 AM
hey cam!

first off, I love osculator! thank you for making such a sweet piece of software.

second, I guess this is the place to request wii motionplus functionality. Could you send me a beta copy with max/msp 5 example patch when ready? thanks!

justin

andywho
08-03-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm another user who would love to access wii motion plus data--and who would be happy to help beta test the feature. thanks for all the hard work, cam.

davidgerhard
08-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Cam,

I am a new user who has been trying to get by with Darwiin remote. I have recently discovered that it is inadequate to my needs and I am happy to find osculator does what I need and more. Primarily, the wii paring is much more stable.

I have a couple of wii motion plus in my possession (had pre-ordered) and would love to test your osculator support for wii motion plus.

I work mainly in PD (as opposed to MaxMSP) so if you would like some demo patches for folks to broaden their development horizons let me know and I'd be happy to whip something up.

camille
08-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi David,

PD patches will be more than welcome!

Thanks.

It's difficult to give a precise estimation on when the work will be completed, but I sense it will be around september.

Best,

Cam

jeremybailey
08-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm SO interested in this, I've been waiting eagerly for the motion plus to create this project: <http://jeremybailey.net/rhizomeApp.html> which is an extension of work I've already done using the regular wii mote <http://jeremybailey.net/youradhere.html>

please keep me in the loop!

jazzman121
08-19-2009, 03:05 AM
Is it possible to get absolute position in 2d or 3d space with the wii motion plus?

camille
08-20-2009, 08:42 PM
In theory with 3 accelerometers and 3 gyroscopes, it could be thought that it is possible to compute the absolute position and orientation of an object quite easily.

But this is a though issue because the sensors are not "absolutely" precise: car GPS, airplanes, and even the software in the games that use the Wii Motion Plus use rather sophisticated algorithms to give an estimation.

As a first step, my goal is to have a good enough estimation of the pitch, roll and yaw attitude angles, in an absolute fashion. Absolute positioning is a step further, that can only be made if the first one is successful.

njazz
09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
hello Camille,

if this is still needed, i'd like to join with pleasure the betatesting the wii motion plus. I also can try to do some patcing for maxmsp if that needed

and thanks again for the great app :)

camille
09-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey njazz,

Thanks for the offer.

I will keep you all posted when I have some interesting news on that topic.

It is still under the works :-(

Best,

Cam

prusajr
09-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Man I hope that Motion plus will be supported ASAP :-) Can I be beta tester?? I think that I'm nerdy enough :-D Check out what we've done prusadjs.cz (http://prusadjs.cz)

milou645
10-05-2009, 12:35 PM
hello !

I'm in too :-)

If someone is done with the Motion Plus, i'm ready to beta test it, and give some feedback, because this feature would be very interesting for me

mil

camille
10-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey Milou,

The best (like for anyone who want to preview this feature) would be to send me an email request at camille at osculator dot net. It's easier for me to keep track of interested users.

In a couple of days, after two month of work, I will post a status update on my blog.

If all is fine the initial version will follow next week.

Best,

Camille

camille
10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Hello everyone,

The beta subscription is now closed.

A first beta version has been sent to users that expressed their interest in beta testing.

Thanks!

Cam

photonal
10-28-2009, 03:01 PM
...anyone got a torrent linking to the 1st Beta? ;-)

camille
10-28-2009, 07:43 PM
that would be fun indeed.

the second beta is better though :^)

Julien Vincenot
11-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi Camille

I a probably future user of OSCulator, which I discovered a few weeks ago.

I acquired a Wii Remote yesterday, including the Motion Plus extension.

I wanted to know how the beta was going and if you intended to make

an public update soon.

I'd prefer to wait before to buy a licence because I'm a relatively poor student

(the wii mote itself had a price), and that the other parameters are

available freely within Max 5 with a few objects…

Thanks in advance, all the best.

Julien

camille
11-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Hello Julien,

I am going to post a release candidate soon.

The code is working fine and a lot of work has been done to improve the whole application.

Best,

Camille

Julien Vincenot
11-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Okay, thanks very much.

Do you have a mailing list or something to see it coming ?

Best

Julien

camille
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
There are no mailing lists, but you can activate automatic software updates in the preferences. In the near future, I will also use Twitter to send updates.

mlizee
12-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Osculator is a very well design and elegant software.

I especially liked the the way we could handle raw data with the accelerometer (Raw Accels) and was wondering if it would be possible to do the same with the motion plus data from the extra accelerator and gyroscope and have access to its raw data.

Best,

Martin

camille
12-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Martin,

Yes! With the public beta (2.9-rc2), check the "Angular Velocities" button in the Wiimote drawer. This will give you access to the raw gyros data.

FYI, the Motion Plus extension only provides 3 additional gyroscope axis but no accelerator.

Best Regards,

Cam

mlizee
12-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Hi Camille,

Thanks, I did checked Angular Velocities but I didn't get any info.

Then I tried with my nunchuk unplugged and it worked! :-)

(no motion plus data when the nunchuk is plugged though)

Best,

Martin

camille
12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Ah, yes this is something I should have mentioned earlier : pass-through extension doesn't work (yet).