Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Beginner - Using Ableton 7+MIDI mapping

Hello everyone,

I've downloaded TouchOSC and OSCulator to use together on my Mac with Ableton Live 7. So far, I have followed the quick start and got the yellow slider to move the volume slider of track 1 up and down - great! My problem is that I am a complete beginner to MIDI mapping, and don't quite understand the way this would work in a practical situation. I've got several questions, will keep them down to basics:

1. Would I need to create a template on Ableton with all its parameter pre-mapped out? If so, what would happen when I add a new track? Do I have to then map everything out again on this and save as an updated template?

2. How about my existing tracks? Do I have to map these out individually or can I somehow import a premade MIDI map into them?

Thanks - apologies if these are basic questions I should already know the answers to!

Anyone?

Comment

I'd suggest saving an OSCulator template for connecting to TouchOSC, but I've always found myself setting Ableton up differently for nearly every project, so have never saved a template in Live.

It's very simple to assign MIDI in Live as well, so if you've got TouchOSC and OSCulator passing on MIDI, it's just a quick click of Command+M in Live and you're there.

Comment

Great - thanks. I am finally starting to get off the ground! I have been helped with the brilliant template here, which triggers clips to play etc in Ableton. I have also modified what is already there within Live itself as you have suggested with worked a charm. My next question (!) is how do I add extra pages of controls to the Touch OSC template via the editor? Whenever I load the template into TouchOSC Editor, I can only see one page of controls. When I click 'New', it opens a new project completely. Help!

EDIT - I've just worked out you just right click to add new pages/elements/buttons etc. DUH! Think I'm getting the hang of it a little more!

Comment

Working...
        X