Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mainstage - OSCulator - TouchOSC

Hi,

I'm trying to get Mainstage 2 to control my TouchOSC via Osculator. Is this even possible. I can get Logic 9 to control it by following the instructions found within the tutorials, but that was via the "Environment". Mainstage appears to not have that..

Any ideas? I can get Mainstage to respond to my TouchOSC, just not the other way.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure wether MainStage has an environment like Logic, and if this is possible to use TouchOSC/OSCulator combo like it is possible with Ableton Live. Let me give it a try tomorrow, and I'll tell you what I find.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

I think I have it figured out. First make controls for each TouchOSC control within Mainstage, teach it or "Learn" it, so Mainstage hears them all. That's easy.

Then at the patch level (Does not seem to work at concert level) add an external instrument, named "OSC1", OSC2, 3, etc, that is configured to send to "OSCulator In (8000)".

Then for each control, at the patch level, create 2 mappings. One that points to OSC1-> MIDI Controller -> 6 Data(MSB) and another to whatever Mainstage parameter that you need controlled. I used 6 because that was how your Logic tutorial worked.

Seems to work though sometimes the controls within Mainstage seem to need a little nudge to get things working again, once there are more then 2 controls going through OSCulator. Seems kind of random the dropouts, so I'm not sure if this will work.

May just need some tweaking.. but I'm not sure how at this point.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of wireless network are you using to connect your iPhone?

Comment

I'm using an airport extreme in my home, so I'm the only one connected, using my iTouch.

Everything is up to date system wise and I'm using the RC2 of OSCulator.

Jim

Comment

You should try to connect your iPhone directly to the computer using an Ad-Hoc (created on the computer) network. When the OSC data is traveling through a router, there are some chances that some packets are dropped.

Comment

Hiya

Did this ever get this resolved by chance? Have spent quite a few hours trying to figure this one out - tried a direct connection (not via router) and both in patch and at concert level. Like you found, I can control Mainstage one way only - so none of the settings are shown on my iPad.

Be really helpful if you could enlighten us, as would be fantastic to control guitar settings from my iPad.

cheers
              Dean

Comment

Guys have had another play. It seems as though the parameter values are not automatically set correctly when you map the channel to midi.

So i have channel for Guitar (which is mapped to a GIO stomp pedal) + voice + backing track + channel for OSC (mapped to TouchOSC parameters at right level)
                ALL at patch level as you suggested Jim.

Had to use a numbering convention that mapped the GIO - so everything in Channel 1 and used numbers (careful to see which ones it uses)

Now when i use the Gio changes happen in Mainstage (pedals + backing track start/rewind) the display changes on TouchOSC too, but all the effects / dials of the pedals i control via the iPad.

thanks! ;-)

Comment

Hi Dean,

Thanks for sharing your solution.
                  I have tried this morning to use MainStage, but unfortunately it seems my installation was buggy, and was unable to select a valid MIDI Output ... really annoying!

Ii have also noticed that MainStage behaves like Logic in the sense that you can not map any control change value, that is if you try to use control change number 7, it will invariably control a volume fader (because CC 7 is the General MIDI standard for controlling volume). This makes sense, since the behavior is the same in Logic, and MainStage uses the Logic engine at its core.

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback, now I guess I have to fix my MainStage installation :-)

Best,
                  Cam

Comment

Working...
                  X