bidirectional communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bidirectional communication

I’m trying this very useful software together with my iPhone, toucOSC and Ableton Live. I don’t succeed in working in a bidirectional way. if I move a fader on my iPhone Live’s fader responds, on the contrary it doesn’t work. is it a normal beheavior or am I missing something?

thank you so much

emj_antonin

Hi,

No this is not normal

Did you check both midi in & out for OSCulator in Live's preference ?

olivier

Comment

I have the same problem, I can move the fader on my ipod touch and see it moving inside Live but when I click the fader inside Live there's no response from my touch. And I do have both midi in and out turned on in Live's preferences. I followed the tutorial as well, not really sure what to do to make it work, any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Comment

Hey Gabetron,

If you effectively activated midi in and out for both track and remote in Live's preferences, then what you can do now is the following:

1. make sure the iPhone is sending messages to OSCulator (activity lights bliking)

2. go in the Parameters window, and check the Default Host is set to you iPhone. If this is not the case, change it accordingly.

3. everywhere you see them in your OSCulator document, delete the messages starting with "/midi".

It can happen sometimes that there is a confusion, that is easily solved this way. The MIDI messages will be automatically recreated.

Cam

Comment

Sweet it works now! I couldn't delete the "/midi" messages at first but I figured out that I had to disable the Lock Input under the Routing section. Thanks!

Comment

Correct!

Comment

I am also having the bi-directional problem with my iphone (3.1.3) running one of the touchOSC templates (mix 16). I have midi messages being generated by touchOSC, being seen by osculator, which passes them properly to ableton live 8.1.3. If I move a fader in live, i can see the appropriate /midi port light up (red) in osculator, but it never gets to the phone.

My phone is set as the default in the parameters, and I have deleted these /midi messages and let them re-create themselves. This still hasn't resolved the problem. I have the incoming port set as 9000 on my phone.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: I fixed it by just killing the whole program and starting from scratch. Not sure what was stopping the transmission back to the phone, but everything works as it should. This is a whole new frontier. Really cool stuff.

Comment

Thanks Brock, this is a very useful report.

If a OSC Routing is used, the activity light could blink red if the network target can not be found (in more technical terms, the host is not resolved). I will try to see if the whole process can be made more robust.

It is a very good idea to check that your phone is the default target.

One more note: Mac OS X 10.5 has a problem with Bonjour causing host resolution to fail on some occasion. The iPhone also has this problem to a lesser extent. For example, you could start TouchOSC, but it won't publish the network service, and OSCulator wouldn't find it. In either cases (computer or phone) the best solution is to reboot the computer.

Comment

Is this any different for the iPad? I'm having the same issue and have tried all previous suggestions (on this thread).

Comment

Hi Jordan,

Could you be a bit more specific?

For example, what Mac OS version are you using? How are you connecting your iPad to your Mac?

This should be not any different wether you are using an iPhone or an iPad, and the back mapping should work flawlessly as long as you activate the MIDI ports in Live's preferences.

Perhaps you already read that documentation, but I think it can be of great help: there is a FAQ specifically written for the iPhone and iPad here, and also a tutorial on how to connect TouchOSC and Live there.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi there! I'm also having similar issues with my iPad... I'm trying to emulate Mackie Control faders for my video editing software - it's really great to have a touch screen interface with all my favourite key commands on single buttons, where I want them! And even better to have audio faders and a fader shuttle...

However - I also can't get bidirectional communication. When I move the faders on the iPad they all move the faders within final cut pro no problem. However, moving the final cut pro faders sends a message back to Osculator, and the osculator button lights up green, and a red light flashes on TouchOSC - so the communication is definitely going back to the iPad. However - the fader doesn't move.

Just to break it down - the routing I've got going back is e.g. Message = /midi/wheel/1 (Mackie Control uses the pitch wheel commands for faders) and Value = gwyns-ipad.local:9000 -> /1/faders/1 (the name of the equivalent fader in my TouchOSC project). Do I need to do something else in the routing or scaling to make this work?

Also - on the subject of scalings - the faders in Final Cut Pro go all the way up to 12 but my TouchOSC faders will only take them up to 10. Can this be fixed with scaling? I've tried tweaking the values to no avail... It's not a big deal as I rarely put them up that high anyway.

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated! I have dabbled in music and MIDI in the past hence have come this far, but it's by no means my career, editing is, and even in it's current state working with the touch surface is divine - I just want it to be perfect!

Thanks for the wonderful software.

Best,

Gwyn.

Comment

PS> I did try deleting all the midi messages already but it still didn't work

Comment

Hey Gwyn,

I think the address you have used for back-mapping is not correct.

Usually the first fader OSC address is /1/fader1 (and not /1/faders/1).

This must be the reason why it doesn't work.

As for the scalings, I would advice you use the Quick Look window to actually see what is going on.

Then, play with the Output min/max values to adapt the signal to what you really need.

I'm sorry I can't give you more specific hint, I never tried to control Final Cut Pro, though this seems a very interesting project.

You have made most of the hard work, and you should be able to build your own interfaces for Final FCP, well done!

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi Camille - thanks so much for your response. I used the /1/faders/1 format because originally I used a multifader in TouchOSC and that's how it named them, but then I changed them to individual faders so I could touch more than one at once, but kept the same names to avoid having to change my Osculator project which was already underway by then.

I'll give it a go changing them all to /1/fader1 tomorrow when I have a chance and let you know how I get on...

Like I say - it's mostly all working and once I have it working in FCP I hope to adapt it for Avid and maybe even Lightworks systems too so I can keep a constant control interface across all the platforms I work on as a freelancer. I think it's going to save me a lot of time fishing around trying to remember key commands from one system to another, and speed up my workflow even just on the one system anyway

Comment

Hey Gwyn,

I just remember I forgot to mention that I think that backmapping with MIDI only works for MIDI Control Changes event.

I will extend that feature to Pitch Wheel as well in the next version.

Sorry for the trouble!

Cam

Comment

Working...
                              X