Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

beginners guide to OSCulator programming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginners guide to OSCulator programming?

I am having a very hard time understanding the complexities of programming in OSCulator. I have been studying the documentation and the preset template (for the wii guitar) to understand how to expand the functionality of the program but it makes very little sense, and the help documents are totally useless to me.

Are there any good jumping off points to learn how to use this amazing and powerful system?

specifically I'm trying to add a 3rd octave to the guitar, so that downstrum + button = low octave, no strum + button = middle octave, and upstrum + button = high octave, and also trying to add the ability to play the A note by hitting the yellow and blue buttons together, and play the B note by hitting the blue and orange buttons together.

is this possible?

Hi,

What would be very useful for me would be to know what documentation you have read, and what was difficult to understand. I would like to make OSCulator easier to learn and understand.

A good advice to get started is to know that everything that enters OSCulator is an OSC message, and that all OSC messages are processed the same way : by using an event. An event is chosen from a list of many types, each of which having different effect or consequences.

Another good advice is to use the Quick Look window, and study the effect of each event in response to the received input. For those that are a bit more complicated to understand, the online documentation should explain how they work — MIDI Note w/ Parameters is one of them.

The Latched Trigger event you are referring to was recently introduced in version 2.8.8 as an experimental support for Guitar Hero. Since that time I have been busy working on version 2.9 which includes literally hundreds of fixes, and therefore it has been difficult for me to update the documentation accordingly.

I also understand that the documentation is more of a "reference doc" rather than a "guide to understanding", which I would eventually love to write in the near future. The version 2.9 — soon to be released — will be the occasion for me to stabilize the functionalities and focus on the documentation.

As soon as I get a hold on my GH guitar, I will come back with a ready to use document that should do what you want, explanations added.

Best,

Cam

Comment

So here is the solution to your question.

This is certainly not the most elegant solution, but it works and is rather easy to understand.

We will only consider the Green button and the strum bar.

The button can be on or off and will be used to trigger the notes.

The strum bar has two messages, one for the down position and the other for the up position. Each of those positions are actually behaving like button and thus have an on and off state. We will use this as triggers to select the notes we want to play.

The first thing to understand, is that you want three different notes to be played on the green button.

Then, the first thing to do is to duplicate the /wii/1/guitar/key/G message three times and assign the respective notes to that button. I play a C-1, a C0 and a C1 on this button. When assigned, pushing the button will play the three octaves together.

We want to be able to play only the C0 when the strum bar is at rest, so click on each "enable" checkboxes (on the left) for the C-1 and C1 notes. This leaves us with only C0 active.

Now, we want to be able to select the notes based on the state of the strum bar. This means we want to switch the enable status for the C-1 and C0 notes when the strum bar is down. This should enable the C-1 notes, and disable the C0 note.

To do this, duplicate two times the /wii/1/guitar/strum/Down message and assign "Latched Trigger" events. The values should be the target of the messages we want to change, that is respectively "/wii/1/guitar/key/G [0>0]" (for note C-1) and "/wii/1/guitar/key/G [0>1]" (for note C0). The result is when you puch the strum bar down, the enable status of the C-1 and C0 notes will change to their opposite, enabling the C-1 note, and disabling the C0 note. The result is that when the strum bar is down, only the C-1 note will play.

The logic is the same for the strum up position, but this time the targets are the messages corresponding to the C0 and C1 notes. Again, this will reverse the enable status of both message, leaving us with only note C1 when the strum bar is up.

You can download the document for this example here : http://www.osculator.net/res/3_octaves_strum.zip

Feel free to ask any question if anything is unclear.

Best,

Camille

Comment

Working...
      X