Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii yaw advice?

Hi there,

Just getting OSCulator fired up and am super impressed - great work Camille! I got OSCulator and a Wiimote to start incorporating the controls into a MAX patch, and I'm wondering if you could give me a bit of advice with regards to the message.

Does the yaw work from the point of view of "dead reckoning" to try to establish a value for the wiimote's orientation? Obviously pitch and roll have gravity as a pretty strong indicator and as such their values remain pretty constant, whereas the yaw message seems to gradually drift back towards the center of its range after giving the wiimote a little spin.

I take it that there's nothing inside the wiimote which would know its orientation with regards to my computer (and its bluetooth ariel) and that the yaw values are independent of the IR inputs too?

In essence my question is whether anyone has noticed any broad rules or guidelines for using yaw input with regards to its absolute yaw value in real space, for example whether anyone has been able to achieve consistent results through the whole of the yaw input range, or whether people have found that it's a less precise input.

My ideal aim is to be able to consistently receive absolute values for the pitch, roll, and yaw of the wiimote, but I'm sure that if this is impossible that I'll be able to tailor my patch in MAX to suit. I'm just hoping for a few words from the wise and experienced out there who might have dealt with a similar situation.

Thanks!

Hi !

As you noticed, yaw measure depends on gravity.

Because it is not required to use the IR bar (and it is not convenient to have it when you are playing on stage), yaw is not compensated using the IR leds, thus the weird values when the Wiimote is laying flat. FYI, we try to block yaw from moving too much on some orientations of the Wiimote.

Now, if you point the Wiimote up, you will see that yaw is now acting like roll if you will. The gravity is acting on the sensors, and the yaw can be safely measured.

I don't think that yaw is less precise, but in terms of natural use, I find it less useful. I think it is really useful if the Wiimote is pointing up and that roll can not be safely measured, or if the Wiimote is on the side, where pitch is affected.

If you want to have a more precise "yaw", you could try to use the MotionPlus extension. Here, yaw suffers from drifting, but can be reset with a custom event (checkout the Event Type menu). I found that on quick movements, yaw on the Motion Plus can be very useful.

To summarize: it is not always desired to use all the three attitude angles, and not needed IMHO, it really depends on what situation you are using your Wiimote. And, the Motion Plus can help getting more consistent results at a small cost.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Great answer, thanks a lot! I'll bear in mind your point about yaw being "more active" when the wiimote is pointing up (and how that same effect kicks in for roll and pitch depending on which way the wiimote is oriented).

I think your description has shaken a little something in my brain that will help my approach in MAX a lot, and I'll get in a Motion Plus and mess around with that too.

Thanks so much and all the best,

D

Comment

:-)

Comment

Camille,

I am evaluating the free version of Osculator to see if it suits my needs for use within Max. I really like what you've done but I'm also experiencing a problem with yaw, although it's different from dtonthept's problem. When I hold the wii very still and do a roll, the yaw slider moves with it (once the roll has reached a certain level--around 0.3). It's as though the yaw value is getting "hooked" by the roll value. I confirmed what the slider is displaying by printing out the pry values and watching the two columns of numbers increasing/decreasing together. I tried the movements while holding the wiimote parallel to the floor and perpendicular.

While it is possible for me to work without the yaw value, I'd really like the option of using it. I hope that this issue is user error and that there's a quick fix! By the way, the batteries in the wiimote are brand new and 100% and I'm only using 1 wiimote for my tests so far.

Thank you,

Dave

Comment

Hi Sebastian,

This is normal: If you don't use a MotionPlus extension, the attitude angles are estimated by measuring the the angle between the direction of the gravity and the acceleration sensors values.

If you hold the Wiimote flat on a table, the gravity doesn't account in the measure of Yaw, which makes it kind of jerky. One obvious solution is to avoid using the Yaw parameter. Yaw becomes useful if you hold the Wiimote differently than the normal use. Another solution is to use a MotionPlus device which will secure yaw measurement but not totally (you get some slight drift because of the very nature of the MotionPlus sensors).

If you are interested, there are a little more details at this faq page : http://www.osculator.net/faq/wiimote-faq/

Best,

Cam

Comment

Here, yaw suffers from drifting, but can be reset with a custom event (checkout the Event Type menu)

Hi Camille. How am I supposed to do that? I took a look at the event type menu and I saw "MotionPlus Reset" choice which I think is what you meant. If I choose that the right value is "wiimote 1" right?

My problem is, how can I take the values of yaw (in my java application) if I replace "Variables" with "MotionPlus reset" in the event type menu?

Comment

All you have to do is to assign Motion Plus Reset to a button for example (or any button you would like to use to reset the Motion Plus values). If your application needs to receive the Wiimote's values at the same time, duplicate the message by pressing Command-D or choosing Duplicate in the Edit menu. You will then be able to send two events from the same message.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X