Access 'Default'/non-IP host from user defined parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access 'Default'/non-IP host from user defined parameters

I am using Osculator to connect TouchOSC and SooperLooper and Logic 8.

I notice that when I send MIDI CC back to Osculator and it auto routes back to TouchOSC, it uses a named host and not an IP address. When I try to type in the 'named' TouchOSC and not an IP when I make my own routing, it does not work.

Is it possible to make user defined parameters with a named host and not an IP?

This would be quite helpful, as based on location the IP changes.

Hi mrfs,

It is possible to type a hostname for in host column of a routing. The problem can be that you are not typing it correctly: Actually, TouchOSC gives you a name, but this is not the hostname (in network terms). You have to add ".local." (notice the last dot) to its name.

My phone is named Gedeon, so its Bonjour name is "gedeon.local."

You don't need to write is lowercase, that is usually done like this.

In the near future, I will make some changes to this panel. First, I would like to replace the host column textfield with a menu where you can basically select the same elements that you have in the Default Host popup. This way you could quickly change the hostname of series of routes.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Thank you for the explanation.

And I think a would do very well, particularly if you could highlight multiple routings and they could all be set from one menu choice.

Also many thanks for fixing that string bug.

Comment

i don't get it working with this..

my iPhone is called sinsynplus's iPhone..

within OSCulator its name is sinsynplus's iPhone (TouchOSC)..

and i tried as suggested in this post and http://www.osculator.net/forum/topic/251 sinsynplussiphone.local. (with routing it gets sinsynplussiphone.local.:9000) but i just get some red blinking in OSCulator..

anyway its working when i'm using the IP.. but then i've got to reconfigure everytime..

any ideas? i also tried uppercase and spaces like sinsynplus's iPhone.local.

greetz

pls

Comment

you should try changing your phone name to a name that doesn't have spaces in it.

Comment

yep.. works.. thanks a lot..

Comment

Thanks Cam and sinsyn...

I have been screwing around trying to use my Iphone's name which had spaces, punctuation and capitalization.... many hours spent trying to type the host name differently in the OSC parameter's window.

Oh well I guess I learned something about hostname restrictions.

If I understood the info that I came across on UNICODE is that Unicode is supposed to standardize things.... SOmething like Unicode can represent spaces but ASCII cannot...

Why do I have to care?

Oh Well,

after some digging I came across this thread and I am so happy now!

Thanks,

AL

p.s. I can't wait for this cool addition:

"In the near future, I will make some changes to this panel. First, I would like to replace the host column textfield with a menu where you can basically select the same elements that you have in the Default Host popup. This way you could quickly change the hostname of series of routes."

Comment

Hey Al,

Yes, I will be including that option in the next release.

I can't however tell you exactly when it will be released.

I'll try to make it the sooner !

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hey misteralan,

version 2.10 should fix all the problems discussed in this thread.

There is no need to type the device name anymore.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Working...
                  X