Connect Wiimote pitch to fader in Ableton Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect Wiimote pitch to fader in Ableton Live

I want to use a wiimote with osculator to control a fader in ableton live 8. Sending a midi note already works fine but which control command do I have to choose to control the values of a fader? e.g. pitching the wiimote should turn the volumen of a channel up/down.

I know this seems to be a basic question but i feel lost with this. Any help appreciated.

Hey Robot,

All you need to do is choose any control change you want.

Assign an "Event Type" of "MIDI CC" to the pitch argument of your Wiimote /wii/1/accel/pry message, as a value you can choose for example '0'. This will send pitch values on control change 0.

Now, you have to tell Live that you want to control the fader with CC 0.

To go in MIDI Learn mode, press Command-M. With your mouse, select the fader you want to control.

Since the Wiimote is already sending messages on control change 0, as soon as you select the fader, it will be mapped to this control change. This is not a problem, just something you have to be aware of.

Now, the fader is controlled by the Wiimote's pitch. To make it more usable, you can adjust the range either in Live or in OSCulator, in the Scalings Page.

Best,

Cam

Comment

that's the point the fader doesn't get it. here's the screenshot:

wiimote working (green), live getting midi data (yellow light), fader selected -> but no mapped control. why?

i am confused.

Comment

This is because I forgot to tell you that there is a little preference to change in Live to allow a MIDI controller to act on Live's parameters. In Live's Preferences, MIDI panel, you must set the "OSCulator Out" MIDI interface as a "remote" controller (check the remote button).

You can get inspiration from the TouchOSC tutorial, which explains basically the same thing here.

Comment

yeeeah. it works

thanks so much for the quick help!

Comment

Working...
          X