Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting multiple wiimotes

Hi,

I'm trying to automatically sync 5 wiimotes more or less simultaneously when the computer is started up.

I've written an applescript to start up osculator, but how do I automatically connect all of the wiimotes?

So that I don't need to access the computer but only have to push the red button (or 1&2) on the wiimotes?

So in other words, how do I keep running discovery mode until all 5 wiimotes are found?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Maaark,

There is an option in the Preferences that says "Continue Discovery after a connection". Check that and you should be set. You can also check "Start Discovery on launch" to make sure it will start when the document is opened.

http://www.osculator.net/doc/manual:application_preferences#inputs_tab

FYI, on some computers, connecting more than two Wiimotes at a time can cause a problem. If you see anything suspicious, please tell me, and I will give you a more advanced way to managing Wiimote discovery and connections.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Dear Camille,

First of all, honors for your work. Osculator is a freaking awesome program, absolutely great!!

At the moment i am working on an installation for an exhibition. I am using Osculator to gather data from multiple wiiRemote, this is send to openFrameworks that handles the input. The computer (Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB) should start up and connect everything after a museum guy pressed the power button of the machine. The computer is equipped with a Sitecom CN-516 BT2.0 bluetooth adapter and there are 3 remotes involved.

The setup is configured in such a way it will start an openFrameworks application at startup, this app will do a system call to open OsculatorFile.oscd. The openFrameworks app goes fullscreen with Osculator in the back, and projects "press buttons 1 & 2" on the screen. It waits from the first input from Osculator and than unlocks the interaction part in the program.

This works, but i noticed only for connecting with the first wiiremote in the list. I checked both the "Start Discovery on Launch" as well as the "Continue Discovery after a connection" option. But the latter doesn't seem to actually work stable. Sometimes it works (1 out of 8), but sometimes it doesnt connect a second or third wiiremote. Pressing the little red button in the battery pack of a remote also does not make a difference. Nor does replacing batteries or poking around with the power button. But when pressing the Osculator Button "Stop Discovery" and than "Start Discovery", a second wiiremote connection starts up immediately. I have to repeat this button clicking process for connecting another remote.

After reading the previous post in this Thread i got very curious to the more advanced way to managing Wiimote discovery and connections, as you mention. Would you mind to share some advanced techniques to get this multiple connection remotes working automatically?

I could imagine the Osculator program has the "stop discovery" and "start discovery" build-in in the taskbar menu, so it can get calls from an applescript program, that would be controlled from the openFrameworks app. But ofcourse it would be most awesome if the "continue discovery after a connection" works just more stable. Or some other technique to get this going.

I hope you could give me some directions on this, the exibition will be on in just a couple of days... Making a manual with instructions on 'how to start up the installation: chapter one: connect a mouse, chapter two: look for this and this button' for the museum servants is not the option i want to end up with

Hoping on a response.

Best,

Arne.

Comment

Hello Arne,

The problem you are describing has been notified by some users and looks very weird.
        Luckily OSCulator has a way to control the discovery process from the outside using the "general commands".
        In the Samples Library, in the Wiimote folder there is a General Command Syntax for Max.
        If you don't have Max, you can view or use this file using the free runtime.

You can also have a look at this thread where I give more detailed explanations:

Please let me know if that helps, good luck for your exhibition!

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

Awesome!!! I took a look at the Max patch and the thread you referred to. Man, I am super happy this feature exists. YEAH! I did a quick test with the Max patch, this works absolutely fine. Restarting the discovery processed from the patch works very smooth. I am also very delighted with the battery level and connection check-ups.

Taking a look at the processing sketch in the referred thread i am confident in getting the same thing working in c++ openFrameworks. I am developing a OsculatorWiiRemote addon for openFrameworks, that reads out all the commands and stuff from the wiiremote through osculator using event listeners. Tomorrow I will take a look at the discovery / connection process and get back to you. If you are interested, I would be happy to optimize the code and release an openFrameworks addon for osculator/wiiremote. If you are not interested, i will put the library out there anyway on the openFrameworks forum

Thanks for your quick and helpful response. Very much appreciated.

Greetings from Utrecht, the Netherlands,

Arne.

Comment

Hello Arne,

I'm looking forward to trying this ofx addon, thank you!

Cheers,
            Cam

Comment

Working...
            X