Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Host OSC Routing

Hey Cam,

I'm trying to get a bit deeper into OSCulator and I'm trying to figure out how to employ the Default Host setting rather than use a device IP address. The OSC routings work fine as long as I have the iPhone/iPad IP address as the host, but I can't figure out how to use the Nearby Host option for OSC routes.

In my TouchOSC setup, I have duplicate toggle buttons which serve the same purpose, and the osculator/OSC routing changes the state of duplicates when one or the other is pressed. The only way the routing works is if I set it up as follows:

Host Port Rewrite Address Arguments

10.0.0.5 9000 /1/pushxx <all arg>

Actually everything works fine for me on my network, but I would like to share the files and realize that the .oscd file is probably not going to work on someone elses system. I'm hoping there's an easy solution that i'm overlooking.

Thanks!

Hey Peff,

Unfortunately, there is no possibility to assign the default host in the OSC routes.

I was initially planning to make an user editable list of hosts. Then, for each routings, you could select a specific host, or the default host. But that would require some work I haven't planned right now.

You are not the only one to outline the problem of using the default host in the routings, I would like to provide a simpler solution for the next release. The idea would be to merely leave empty both host and port fields to use the default host.

What do you think?

Comment

Ah, thanks for the answer. I think that's probably a good idea, especially as people start migrating around to different networks or start sharing their .oscd files. As long as you limit the default host to one device, this should be fine. However I see how this could be quickly obsoleted as people use multiple control devices. You would then need to take into account routings for each device and not just the default host.

OSCulator can already identify host devices on the network, so perhaps routings could be mapped to slots and a preference pane will allow you do address a specific device and make the proper assignment.

thanks again for your answer and all of your efforts!

Comment

OK, it turns out that it is not so simple to make the quick fix, so I'll rather go for the solution I initially thought about.

As you said, this solution will make the "default host" obsolete, and I will have to ensure a correct back-routing to multiple hosts. While not impossible, this makes things much more complicated, and even more if you take in account that you need to ensure forward compatibility.

I'll see if I can release that for 2.9.5, but I fear that will be a bit too much work.

Comment

Oha seems I got the same problem..

My iPad got the Name SomeiPad and I want to route messages back to this thing.

I'm using for this something like this :

OSCRouting : SomeiPad.local:9001 -> Page_Example/Example_LED

I want to share my hard work with other's, they need to change in the Parameters the name of SomeiPad to it's own iPad name. As far as I see it now, they need then also to assign all the back-messages again....and this is hard work as I'm using this cool feature a lot in my brand new TRAKTOR remote...

Would be quit cool if we just could use something like this :

OSCRouting : Default:9001 -> Page_Example/Example_LED

And it would take then the default device, marked as the Default Host in View/Parameters/OSC Routes

And btw : would be great if we would have some kind of a libary where we can upload and share our work with the community ;-)

Comment

Hey Fischerman,

I am aware of this problem, and the quick fix I previously offered to Peff unfortunately led me to other problems. I am currently working on it and should be able to offer something great in a future update.

Just a little note about what you said about reconfiguring a document:

This only happens when you are using manually configured OSC Routings. If you don't use them, the Default Host is automatically updated with the first discovered OSC device, which happens when you start TouchOSC and display the layout.

If your document uses custom OSC Routings, though, the only thing you really have to do is update the OSC Routings with the new host address (SomeiPad.local:9001), and also change the Default Host in the drop down menu if it has not been automatically done. There should be no need to update the back routings in the main window, since they are by default assigned to the Default Host.

Cheers,

Cam

Comment

Working...
            X