Wiimote directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiimote directions

Hello, I have a wiimote set up with OSCulator in ableton live and I was wondering if it's possible to set up something where I turn the remote to the left and have it control one thing and then turn it to the right and have it control another thing. How do I do this?

Hi,

What you can do is split an attitude angle in two different events.

To do that, select for example the "roll" event, and do Edit->Split.

This will split the roll in two halves you can use to control two different things, depending on what you assign next -- two different MIDI Control Change for instance.

Remember that if you want to assign those two MIDI CC in Live you will have to enable only one event at a time, when using Live's learn mode. To do that select the event that you are going to map in Live, and do Routings->Solo to solo it out.

There's a discussion here about that topic : http://www.osculator.net/forum/topic/105#post-542

You can also search for "routings solo" on the forum for more info.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Great thanks! Also, is there a way to have a disable button? Like if I'm not using the wiimote for a little, could I just press a button to turn it off and back on? Because certain things are always active, like the roll, etc and I would like to only use those if I'm holding down a button. Does that make sense?

Comment

Sure, you can assign to a button a Latched or Toggled Enable event.

Here is a doc page that will give you more info about this :

http://www.osculator.net/doc/manual:latched_and_toggle_enable

Let me know if that helps.

Comment

Thanks! I'm still confused as to how to actually set that up though.

Comment

No problem, here's a more detailed explanation :

Take the example where you want to stop sending roll events when you only hold the trigger (B) button.

First, connect your Wiimote and press the B button to have everything we need it in the list.

Now locate the "/wii/1/button/B" message and choose "Latched Enable" for the "Event Type" column, and "/wii/1/accel/pry [1:roll]" for the "Value" column.

When you press B, this will disable the "roll" message. When you depress the B button, the roll message will be activated again. If you want to invert that behaviour, just uncheck the box on the left of the roll event. Then, the roll event will be activated only if you hold B.

If you want to click B rather than holding it, instead of "Latched Enable", use "Toggled Enable".

Finally, use different combinations of these tips to suit your needs.

If something is unclear, feel free to ask.

Comment

Working...
            X